ingramlee

Hard Starting

6 posts / 467 viewsLast Reply

Hi Guys/Gals

Since I saw one at a local car show some 25 years ago in San Diego, I'm the proud owner of a 1973 fjord blue 2002 (it'll be a year next month). The car has very little rust that I can find. paint looks very good, dash has (1) 4" tear, overall very happy with the car. But here is my problem. When the car is cold its very hard to start, at least 30 seconds of cranking. I changed the plugs, fresh gas and clear filter near the carb. After the car is warm it starts immediately after one crank. What else should I check or do to figure out why its so hard to start. BTW there is fuel in the carb and the clear filter near the carb is always almost full. The car has a manual choke that I have never used, Frankly because I'm not sure how to use it. Could the choke not being used or not set correctly be the cause of my starting woes? Any and all ideas/suggestions are appreciated.

if you have the choke cable attached, pull it the next time, pat the gas pedal once and turn the key

Check your grounds as well (with a voltmeter measuring resistance). While starting, see if they get warm. Block to frame/body. Head to alternator. Alternator to regulator.

winter without using the choke you're doing very well indeed.

Apparently you have a Weber carb with a manual choke (the OEM Solex had an automatic choke that occasionally worked), same setup I have on my 73 in the same winter climate about 60 miles west of you.

What works for me in the winter: pull the choke out all the way, pump the accelerator pedal once, and hit the starter. Once it's been running for a few seconds, push the choke partway in--enough so it isn't idling at 2k rpm but not so much to cause stalling. Then as the engine warms up, gradually push the choke in 'till it's idling at normal speeds (750-900 rpm).

You'll have to experiment with how many accelerator pedal pumps you need (you may not need any) and how long to leave the choke cable pulled out--I think each car is a little different. But you'll get the hang of it.

Oh--hope you're running a lighter weight oil than 20w-50 if you're driving it regularly in the winter and/or it sits outside. If it's a sunny dry Sunday driver during the winter and it lives indoors, 20w-50 is OK, but if you're driving it regularly and it sits outside either day or night, switch to 10w-30 'till the weather warms up.

cheers

mike

After months of trying to figure out my hard starting issue I went home after work and pulled the choke all the way out and pumped the gas once like Mike in Beavercreek suggested and what do you know the car fired right up..Its never done that.. Thanks Mike, Esty, and AceAndrew.. you guys rock...