LarryS

Another side mirror question

13 posts / 941 viewsLast Reply

I just received new outside trap mirrors. My car does not currently have a mirror on the passenger side.

I have searched and read various threads on installing the passenger side mirror when it is currently not there. Most of the threads refer to a cage nut.

I just removed the Vitaloni mirror on the drivers side and I dont know if this the caged nuts that everyone refers to, but instead looks like #20 in the diagram. If thats what it is, Does it just get pushed inside the hole (21/64 I think) and expands and is used instead of the caged nut?

Also, how do I get the pair thats in the drivers side out so I can replace them with new ones?

Thanks.

post-21361-13667669046216_thumb.png

post-21361-13667669048282_thumb.jpg

Those don't appear to be quite like the original ones, but are they in the correct place for securing your new mirror?

You might need to remove the inner door panel to see what's on the other side!

door...but if you do, and you want the mirrors to match on both sides...

Remove the driver's door mirror and cut a paper template that fits against the garnish molding along the top edge of the door, and matches the leading edge of the door. Take it all the way down to the upper trim piece if you wish. Mark the cage nut locations on the template, then turn it over and it'll be your pax door template.

cheers

mike

Yes, but is that #20 on the above diagram an insert that would be used instead of the cage nut? (I'm sure it wouldn't be as solid)

LOL, I almost missed your reply because it was in the subject line.

But good! I ordered 4 of them, I just wasn't sure what I was ordering.

Thanks to all.

Thanks Stu, That does look like what I need and I may have to buy it.

I ordered a few of the #20's from the diagram in the first post a few days ago so they should be here soon. Not sure what I'm getting but I'll let you know.

Good find!

When I bought mine from Maximillian I ordered two of everything that looked close. I got what I needed, with some extras. At least the e-bay ad is clear.

Hi, Just installed my matching Vitaloni passenger mirror and they come with a hard rubber insert that expands when mounting screw is installed, maybe not original but a very nice fit and it is watertight, would recco these over the cage nuts handsdown, spend a weekend at picnpull inspecting the damage and rust the cage nuts cause

I just picked up my order from the repair shop around the corner and they are indeed the cage nuts minus the screws but the screws came with the mirror, so that's fine. Plus, they were only $5.00 for all four.

I do believe I have the rubber inserts on my drivers door that was holding my Vitoni and now it's holding my new mirror. I would have preferred the rubber inserts, they hold well and would be less work than cutting slots for the cage nuts.

post-23229-13667669230912_thumb.jpg