• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

incredible A4 going on sale in SFO(non-affiliated)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

i had to keep this car/info quiet until today. This is probably one of the nicest/rarest 2002s ever made, and just my luck, it is going up for sale this week( just when I am writing a BIG check for the new engine for my A4).I spent 2 days looking this car over and attending the inspection by the builder at his shop. Specs: 1973 Malaga tii delivered to Hardy and Beck in 1974 by original owner with "open checkbok" to make into nicest Alpina 2002 possible at that time. (H&B was "Alpina West" at that time- articles about this car and the shop were written in Road &Track in mid /late 70s ).First, 67,000 proven original miles. Car has been warehoused in a collection for 17 years.Provenance of ownership and components is complete and tight. This car has a complete, correct, Alpina A4S engine and fuel injection, including the 300 degree cam, tulip valves, domed pistons, Alpina -worked head, Bosch pump reworked by Alpina, oil cooler, aux. fan.. Alpina suspension,, QR box, 17 gal gas tank,LSD diff, H&B 3 piece wheels, all the goodies - even Alpina struts.Most remarkeable, a custom one-off leather interior sourced by the owner:covered Scheels,sunroof w/ metal deflector, custom headliner, H&B /Momo sport wood wheel, gauges, mats, no crack dash, even custom covered /carpeted trunk: car apparently never exposed to severe light, or any weather- everything is like factory fresh... I heard about this car 13 years ago, but never got a chance to seek-out the owner to check it out. A friend of mine saw the car in traffic last month, spoke to the owner, and is now representing the car for sale along with other cars from the owner's collection. Builder's inspection revealed that car has been unchanged since built in 1974. Museum quality condition- 2nd ( and current) owner added Turbo flares and air dam during repaint in late 80s. Original owner sourced the 4 headlight grill.Just thought the board would like to hear about it from someone who spent a lot of time in the car and under the car, but who, unfortunately, has no economic interest in it. I am just an admireer: wish I could be the next buyer! I have lots of pics of the car. The rep. will be listing the car on Ebay soon: I really hope it is bought by an enthusiast and that it gets out in public for all to see and to enjoy instead of heading back into a warehouse for another 15 years.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

The value will be tough to determine b/c this is a one-off car, in perfect shape, and it has such unique components. To me, it has a very high value- but I am nuts for real-deal Alpina cars. I think it deserves a higher price than a Turbo- it is much rarer. But, the market may think this car is not as valuable as a Turbo. It will be really interesting to see what the world thinks of it. Based on recent offerings of nice tiis on Ebay, the market was not ready to pony-up big bucks. But, this car might bring-out a deep pockets collector/buyer- it is Barret-Jackson material, IMHO.

Guest Anonymous

The used car market is really soft. That said, I think someone paid almost $9k for for that "marginal" look original bla,bla,bla 74tii fetched a week or so ago. I would be interested myself if it weren't for the turbo flares! Hardy & Beck did nice work-very expensive (H&B is still in business - and still does good work).

Guest Anonymous

Yes it is a rare car and I definitely would like to have it if i had money but it is still not a real Alpina A4S car. A real Alpina car would have all the Alpina goodies such as deco set striping, Alpina striped seats, gauges(including a rear diff temperature), badges, and an A4S # stamped on the block and head, Alpina strasse uberollkafig (street roll cage/bar) the build sheet and paperwork(tuv, kfz) from Alpina, the rare 3 piece wheels with magnesium centers 9 x 13 front and 10 x 13 rear and Alpina box flares too.

I would say it would go sell in the 15-20K range.

hey got any more pics of the car? kindly post it!

Guest Anonymous

I'm pretty sure that "real" Alpina's weren't made until the E21. I thought all 02 Alpina's were regular 02's that people had Alpina stuff put on, and it didn't matter what was put on and who did it. There are no number plates on an 02 Alpina designating it 65 of 98 cars. Plus if you look in Mcartney's book, there is a picture of an Alpina and it does not have all the pin striping and such that you say a real Alpina would have.

Bryan

red73

Guest Anonymous

It is funny but after 30 years Alpina still brings that mistique and controversy to the table. There are so many opinions about what constitute a "real" 2002 Alpina. I have debated that subject ad nauseum, and it becomes a very emotional and subjective issue. It is like asking: who is a real american, american indians only???

I am of the opinion that a car has to stand on its own, regardless who built it, a car is a car and if doesn't bring a smile to your face, I couldn't care less if it is an Alpina or not.

I also think there is something called "Alpina envy", like "Beemer envy", people start comparing their Maxima with the 330 - "I got more horsepower than you and I paid less" - but you know they really wanted that bimmer instead...

I venture to say that this car is a blast to drive, sweet, fast, it purrs, it handles and everything works - looking at that Alpina airbox is like looking at your plate in a 5 star French restaurant - you know it's going to be good...

Michael

Guest Anonymous

I believe because Alpina was one of the first "tuners"--if you think about it they were so far ahead of the curve offering up the bits and pieces they did for the 02. The things they offered worked well and were constructed well which given the fact that a lot of the pieces are still in use today is a statement to that fact. I think the most anyone could hope for is an Alpina build sheet for their 02. It is a fact that they offered catalog items that could be fitted by them or the owner in any combination (this is commonly known by most). I own or have owned virtually every item they have ever offered for an 02 (including a set of magnesium centered 3 piece wheels which I still have): so I guess I have been as caught up by "the name" as anyone.

Guest Anonymous

If the car is as decent as it looks (looks can be deceiving I know) I wonder why that car hasn't been sold??? What the heck is wrong with it.

Guest Anonymous

It doesn't look that good in the metal. The current owner did a decent job bringing it back to life, but the bottom line is that it would take big $$$ to make it look good.