montobo

electric fuel pump at the tank

7 posts / 651 viewsLast Reply

The question is, how well can it work to use an electric fuel pump at the tank (from a 318i, or something) for a down-draft carb set-up? The fuel lines are swapped (steel line to the engine and plastic for return). The car is a '74 carbureted and somewhat disassembled under the hood. It's not my car although it used to be. I had worked on it a little bit and there were still gas leak issues with dual weber carbs. I had used a Carter fuel pressure regulator set at 5 psi. I'm trying to help the current owner, long-distance (I have not seen the car in several years). He is in the process of assembling a fuel hookup/carburetor install from parts. He does not have prior experience in particular with BMW 2002.

Are we on the right track? Does this sound doable and desirable--especially the electric fuel pump? Or is it recommended that we revert back to original? If so, what exact steps are recommended?

I hope I am making sense. Your patience is appreciated.

Thanks.

Unless there is a pressure regulator with return flow to the tank, the pressure will be quite high. If no return flow the pump will probably burn out, it is a positive displacement pump that should not be dead headed.

You are asking about a pump "at the tank". Do you mean "in the tank"?

you only need 2.1 psi fuel pressure - fix that some how

but best is you install a BMW mechanical M10 fuel pump

as it was from the beginning

If you use an early E30 in tank pump (or pre-pump in the 2 pump system for EFI) your plan will work. However, if you use the later in tank pump (single pump system for EFI) you will have too much pressure.

........i think either of those injection pumps is too much for

his Weber 32/36 carburetor