gobears

install temp. sensor on radiator?

13 posts / 806 viewsLast Reply

Just picked up a spal fan and wanted to ask how to go about install the 3/8 temp sensor?

i realize i need to install the sensor towards the top of the radiator, after i tap it how do i support it? if is use a nut how do i get the nut around the sensor, i guess if i place it near the cap i can wedge my fingers in there to hold onto the nut?

all comments are truly appreciated

i might have to fabricate something that mates w/ my upper, any suggestions?

I took my radiator to a radiator shop and had them weld in a bung in the lower tank. works great.

I took my radiator to a radiator shop and had them weld in a bung in the lower tank. works great.

would you mind telling me how much they charged you?

I reused one from an E21...

t

I used an adapter and gauge from Koso on amazon for an 89 Dodge Raider I used to have. It worked great. Nothing will look stock or period but does the job well, easy to install, and cheap.

post-611-13667668938386_thumb.jpg

post-611-13667668938564_thumb.jpg

I'm going to get a quote on monday to weld a bung to my radiator. the i8n-line hose adaptor seem to go for around $25-$30.

Correct me if I am wrong, but my water divider has 2 taps built into it. Couldn't you easily just install a temp sensor there?

t_320icoolantdivider640_954.jpg

(Photo taken from the DCOE installation FAQ thread:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/t,322335/sid,f0d7cf8b9c5eb36b04d5cb183c861aca/

Certainly, but the concept is to run the fan when the radiator needs cooling. Switching fan from there measures the water out of the engine. Find the right switch and it would work, if not the fan runs all the time.

oh, oh...here comes the holy war about switch location...

it makes no difference where in the system the switch is. it is a closed loop. you just need to make sure the switch is set for the right temp for the location you choose.

mine was in the three tap waterneck i used. fan cycled on and off perfectly when needed.

oh, oh...here comes the holy war about switch location...

it makes no difference where in the system the switch is. it is a closed loop. you just need to make sure the switch is set for the right temp for the location you choose.

mine was in the three tap waterneck i used. fan cycled on and off perfectly when needed.

I think that's what I said.

But in cold weather there can be very cold anti-freeze coming out of the radiator and the water neck hot eough to turn the fan on! Fan not needed under those conditions.