rlgMcoupe

Seat Belt Help

7 posts / 1342 viewsLast Reply

I need some help understanding the different options for front seat belts on an early car. PO has a set-up in there but it does not work very well. The current set-up is re-tractor wheel mounted just outside the rear seat, a little too close so it rubs the cushion. The mount point is high on the b pillar, this causes uncomfortable neck rubbing. And they don’t retract well at all. I have seen different options, some are hidden under seat, mount on b pillar, mount on rear seat window ledge (not sure what that is called) it looks like there are little plastic caps on my rear seat cards covering something (mounting point?). What are the different options on seat belts for early to late conversion? Does one work better than the others? I seem to have a ½ arse conversion which is also leading to confusion.

any pictures? Also who was the previous owner?You can email the info to me if you don't want to say it here.

Feb '69 production 2002, without having to drill any noticeable extra holes. Not perfect, but much better than the spaghetti belts that the car came with. Drop me an e-mail and I'll send you a copy of the column that I wrote about the installation.

cheers

mike

any pictures? Also who was the previous owner?You can email the info to me if you don't want to say it here.

Hope these pictures help understand what I mean.

E3F0D508-E030-407D-B15A-46CCBA4D523D.JPG

9F728CFC-1258-429E-9246-D46D58AB4BED.JPG

2B76F975-B9B6-4347-ABA1-A53A48E8391B.JPG

9294FAB9-27F4-40E8-A8FE-6C5A44010B74.JPG

850F49DB-9F9E-4941-912E-61E2652E85ED.JPG

It is where later cars had the retractor installed, and end fitting behind the retractor. If it is an early car, you can look for another hole on the rocker next to front seat to fit the end fitting of the webbing, many older cars had it. Also it seems the webbing is twisted, remove and re-install so that the male buckle (latch plate with the round hole) points towards the interior of the car, it may function better. Another option is to install the retractor under the rear seat with a slight angle towards the upper b-pillar anchor (swing/loop anchor). IMO, those belts are gone, ask Blunt @ Blunttech to send you a new pair of BMW Repas or Autoflugs.

Thanks so much! If relocated to under seat how does the webbing thread through the seat and/or side panel? Also, understand this is how later cars are mounted, but is it normal for the wheel to be under the front edge of the seat causing the webbing to touch the upholstery or should this be moved forward to prevent rubbing?

If you install under the rear seat there is enough room for the webbing to lace through rear quarter panel and the seat, not perfect but will work. New belts from BMW come with special sleeves for that purpose and all 74+ cars have the special threaded anchors installed at the factory. They are installed on the rocker right behind the rear seat bulkhead that goes across the floor, you should look at a late 2002 to see what I am talking about. In this set up (installing retractors under the rear seat) the right front reel goes to left, and left reel goes to right (don't ask me why). But I am not sure the retractors in your car are the correct ones to start with. That is why I recommend to buy brand new belts from BMW that come with all the parts which will make installation a simple process. You still need to drill holes or weld plates under the rear seat (on the inner rocker) if your car doesn't have the holes or threads.

p.s. If you are interested in a less expensive solution as an alternative to new BMW belts email me using my button and we can talk about business.