• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What got you into 2002-ing?

dasfrogger

There's quite a bit to this answer, but I found it to be - at the time - a cheap, practical car when I bought my first one pre-internet days. There was a certain draw for me, to an $800 - four cylinder - rear wheel drive - liquid cooled car, with a big trunk that a mountain bike would fit into. I drove to a lot of mtb races with my bike in the trunk and it was just as much fun to drive the car as it was to race bikes a lot of the time. I don't have many pictures of that car, but this is one from one of the many times I found myself in the Arkansas Ozarks going to or from a race. These days, it's not nearly as practical...

post-2131-13667668909913_thumb.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I fell in love with the 3.0 CSL's when I was a lad in England, looked at getting an e9 (3.0 CS ) then found out 1 they rust like a bastard & 2 they are waaaaay out of my price range.

1 day I'm driving through Whittier (avoiding Whittier Blvd ) & spot a little blue 2002 with Panasports , that was it ! Memories of 02's on the track in England came flooding back.

Buy a 2002 & give it to my son in 12 months when he's 17, great plan but I fell head over heals with the 02 & told him forget it , I'm keeping it. a year later we get his 2002 , I then get the hybrid beast & restored a Mint Grun 75 .

The obsession continues , I even infected one of my customers :)

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

This is the best collection of comments yet, cant resist another bit. 1999, went lookin for a 70 chevelle with 5 k burnin a hole, found out in a hurry 10k needed to join the club, went to look at a 320i, one drive and hooked, saw a 2002 in mid build and wondered wtf? FF 1 year, out at pic n pull for parts, bought a complete 76 that passed smog for 275 bones, 100k later sold it for 3500 to a man who threw his teenage daughter the keys to drive home, I know she made it, then came my roundie and now have another 76 original paint golfie I am building for the long term, people up here scratch there noggins but I remember the night travelin down I5 at 5 am in deep fog comin up on 300 feet of spilled 2x4s littered across the highway, not liftin once just driven through the maze with tires screamin and heart pounding I decided right then that no other car could of done that and vowing to never stray from the best designed built and executed car on the road..........ever

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

In the late 80's i was visiting a girl friend in Corvalis, OR and saw one in the apartment complex. Turf green Automatic done up nicely in stock form i was hooked. a few years later i got my first one, then my 2nd now i am on my third.

FO 2573825

1971 2002, 5-OD, Recaro SE, BBK, 90Amp Alt, Turbines, VDO, Hellas, BD belts, LED Tails, 10 Foot DD

1986, I think, across the street from a friend's house was a '76 mintgrun with BBS wheels, owned by a guy a few years older and just out of high school. One day he offered me a ride- said he had just got new tires, and wanted to heat up the rubber to seal them better to the rims. Most amazing ride I've ever had- drifting every corner along a windy lakeshore road- terrifying, exhilarating, sooo much fun.

Then, as a senior in high school in 1988, my girlfriend's dad bought her a '74 for $350 that had been in a collision, and together we re-built the front end (nose cone, hood, radiator, windshield, etc.), and she was pretty good at fixing things on it when it stopped in the middle of an intersection because the throttle linkage had become disconnected or whatever. She sold that car because she didn't like driving it in the winter, and I had looked for another '02 ever since.

Fast forward to now, going on twenty years of marriage, we have a '74 Malaga that is our 17 year old son's car (paid $500, didn't run at the time), and a '76 Verona (original paint, sunroof, a runner, paid $1,800 a couple of months ago) for our daughter turning 15 in a few days.

2002's will always be in my family.

Thanks for askingandthentherewere02_zpsdebbfbb0.jpg

There was an indy mechanic close to my office in Philadelphia and on nice days I would walk over and see what he was working on and just shoot the bull. I ended up buying and old Porsche 911 from him. A couple of months later the muffler went on the car so I took back to him to have it replaced. When he told me the parts would cost $2,000 (more than I paid for the car, by the way) I nearly fainted and he said "Welcome to the world of Porsche part$". I told him there was no way I could keep the car and he said he had an old BMW that he would trade me even up for the 911. I loved that car instantly. Was so solid it felt like the whole thing had been chiseled out of one big rock. That was 1987 and I have owned one or more BMWs ever since. Not an image thing, they are just darn good machines.

'71 02 - parts car with not many parts left

'73 02 - weekend toy and money pit

'74 04 - sold in '91

'03 325iT - for trips and bad weather

'03 50cc Honda Scooter - for my 2 mile commute

'06 50cc Honda scooter - wife's commuter

While attending a friends wedding in Los Gatos, CA, I happened to cross paths (literally, the driver stopped at the crosswalk for me) with a super-neat looking lime-green roundie that was riding quite low. This was the first 2002 I had ever seen in my 37 years (they're non-existent for the most part in my neck of the calcium-encrusted wintery woods). I wasn't sure exactly what it was, but I really wanted it. Being a BMW owner, I immediately recognized the roundel and the styling cues of the front end, within 15 minutes of getting back to my hotel room, I knew more-or-less what it was, but more importantly that I HAD to have one.

With a passion for tinkering on cool machines, an appreciation of old world engineering, and the disappointment that my e46 M3 doesn't require much more from me than basic maintenance, gasoline(lots) and the occasional high-rev workout, I knew what had to be done.

Enter eBay, a stalled restoration in Oregon and a flatbed transport truck. 6000kms later, I've got an outlet for tinkering (a serious understatement) parked in the garage.

There you go, a short story, only much longer. Prolly way too long.

Das Moneypit, an F20-swapped 1973