• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mechanical question

LeeMW

Straight forward job. But you will need a 30mm socket to get the nut off the crank to pull the pulley. You may not have to pull the front covers if you can pull the seal with the pulley off.

If the front cover has to come off you will need gaskets and luck to not drop anything into the pan while the covers are off. Carefull separation is need to not damage the pan gasket while removing the front cover that has some pan bolts into it from the bottom. If the pan gasket has sealer on it you might be out of luck and the job grows from there.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Don't forget to decide on a trick for removing/tightening the crank bolt without spinning the engine.

On some cars you can just put the car in gear, but I wasn't able to do that on my 02. The wheels just kept turning and/or the clutch slipping, or something else, and it wouldn't go. You can pull the starter and wedge something in flywheel teeth too, but I've never tried that.

I really think it's easiest to just put a breaker bar on the crank bolt in a very secure manner, and wedge the breaker bar under the battery tray, and use the key to turn the starter on for a brief half second. It's really less dramatic than you expect, and does it with ease. For tightening it, you need a torque wrench, and leaving it in gear has worked for me.

edit: oh yeah, impact wrench is best option, if you can fit it in there. probably requires removing radiator, which you should probably do anyways....

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

do check a manual if you have access. I've done it a couple of times when i've pulled the motor wo pulling trans(just to get that little bit of extra clearance taken up by the pully.)

pull the inspection plate from the transmission and fabricate a tool that can be bolted to trans at one of the inspection plate mounting holes. the tool should have a 90 degree turn that can be fitted between the flywheel teeth. that should hold the flywheel so you can remove the crank nut. (i had a box full of weber and holly carb parts and used the part that actuates the secondary side of a 32/36. it has an arm that is perpendicular to the actuating arm and with some straightening and use of a small washer in the large hole to accomodate the bolt, makes a good tool for the job.

Gale H

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

Here's a link to a "How To" I did a few years ago. I've since learned that supporting the engine from ABOVE with a fender mounted bar arrangement is the way to go - to gain oil pan/pump clearance.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/p,469996/sid,959398280bcfaefd3f81b905879389d9/

Hope it helps!

post-22275-13667668857909_thumb.jpg

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

I just recall I had a bad time trying to remove that damn pulley. After a lot of time and a lot of scrapes I managed.

Do use some sort of sealer on the timing covers I was trying to be "too clean" and didn't use any now I got oil leaks all over the place.

That's if you have to remove the covers....

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

An update to a mis-printed element of my old tech tip:

I don't use ANY formagasket stuff on the crank seal. I do pack the backside of it with grease to retain the tiny spring however - and to allow the pulley to slide in without damaging it. I press it in to the cover bone DRY on the outside mating surface.

Konrad - using sealant on the VALVE COVER seal? Ick! I've never needed it, personally. Makes valve adjustment time messier. ;-)

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Konrad - using sealant on the VALVE COVER seal? Ick! I've never needed it, personally. Makes valve adjustment time messier. ;-)

I meant to say timing covers!

Though my valve cover does needs some sealant it's badly warped :(. ATM I'd rather put up with the little oil seepage.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978