Chamoix

Idler arm heat shield?

9 posts / 759 viewsLast Reply

I saw mention of an idler arm heat shield in a recent post, then someone else posted a RealOM diagram showing one. I've had 3 02's and none of them had one, but it kind of makes sense as close as the arm is to the exhaust. Was it on all year car's? I just put new subframes in my car with new poly bushings all over and I'd like to protect the idler bush so I don't have replace it prematurely. Anybody have one sitting around they'd like to offer up? Depending on responses, I will also post a WTB if it sounds like a good thing to have.

The recent post was mine, but I shipped the heat shield to a FAQer earlier this week.

The heat shield only showed up on later model 2002s. The front subframe from my 74 didn't have the holes for the heat shield. The subframe from my 76 did.

fitting 'em until about 1974, when thermal reactors, air pumps and other such nonsense made the exhaust much hotter than earlier cars. I've yet to see a roundie with one.

mike

I've yet to see a euro car with one. I tend to believe it was used only with emissions stuff.

Tommy

Yep, I think the only way you´ll see it in realoem is if you chose "USA". Don´t think it was there on any euro car.

the parts manual off the tii register lists it for the turbo and US 2002/2002A only

Both our '75 and '76 have all the exhaust emission items removed and are fitted with tii exhaust manifolds. I inspected the '76 yesterday and it seems like there is a reasonable amount of space between the idler arm bushing and the tii exhaust manifold.

The OE manifolds on these cars were larger and probably closer to the bushing. Hence the apparent need for the heat shield. We've had the heat shields off our cars (probably 25 yrs. in the case of my '75) with no obvious problems.

Bob Napier

the heat shield is a rather robust heavy item

built to last, and only fits with stock exhaust manifolds.

it does not fit when tube headers are installed which is

why most are found at the bottom of pools

i made a thin sheet aluminun hand hammered formed

shield to cover the idler arm bearings - had a scoop

facing foward to catch and direct air around the

idler bearings. all about the size of your hand -

picture palm down to the rear and your fingers over

the top facing front over the idler bolt

Thanks for the responses. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something important. My car (and replacement subframes) are '73 so the shield was apparently not OEM on my car. Mine isn't a track car or even a daily driver, so I don't think I'll worry about it anymore.