• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flywheel question....

ksollinger

More flywheel questions.....

So I laid the old clutch disc on the flywheel to get an idea of the "step" spacing from the edge and plan on taking this with me as referance as well. So just out of curiosity I placed the pressure plate on top and there is a significant gap between the two surfaces. I dont recall 100% what it looked like when I pulled it but this seems wrong to me? Also just so everyone knows this is off a 76 and it's a 215 flywheel.

Sorry about all the questions but Im just pissed! Everytime I make headway getting one step closer to driving I get another set back!

The gap is nomal

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

So from the recomendations I got I took the flywheel to a local shop and had them resurface it...

There is no longer a "step" in it and it's been ground completly smooth. The shop that did it couldnt tell me how much surface they took off because the tech was no longer there for the day. Im hoping that it will still work even without the "step" in it. Please tell me I dont have to by a new flywheel now because they screwed it up!

They owe you a flywheel. Probably an honest mistake by a younger tech, but if you told them what car the flywheel is from, they can look up the spec. Even the tiniest shops that do flywheel work have thick binders full of flywheel info. Some even have access to the internet.

Take it back, talk to the owner and the tech that did the work. Be a good learning experience for all involved. Do you take it to a mechanic who advertised flywheel resurfacing, or did you go to a true machine shop?

Then again, it might be fine for 100K plus on a DD. I'd just hate waking up each day wondering if I'm gonna have to yank the tranny next weekend because I gave my machinist a pass.

HTH

N

this is why shops are no longer grinding flywheels. you bring in some random ass old bmw flywheel, don't really give them any specs on it. Expect that they will look up all the information. find it, pull the dowel pins, precision grind it and in a step and take your $40. Now some how they owe you a flywheel because they didn't do it right when you didn't bring in any of the info for them to. All the step is for is to engage some pressure plate tension. Sure running one without a step will result in less holding capacity of the clutch ONLY once the clutch disc is worn out. It's not like the guy is going to put another 200k on his 02. Millions of race flywheels come without a step. Life goes on.

The reason he didn't know how much he took off is because flywheel grinders do not have dial indicators on them. You just grind until it's shiny and then measure pre grind and post grind.

I would think completely opposite what oldguy says on this one.

A shop that grinds flywheels should know how important this kind of things are to clutch operation. Somebody brings a flywheel that clearly has a step on it. They just grind it flat - idiots. They could just measure the step before, ask client, guess a little and make it as good as they can. Or find the spec which is not impossible.

Yes flat probably works fine for quite long but the clutch plate needs to be replaced a lot sooner.

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

a shop that grinds flywheels waits until they have 5 or six of them to do and then puts the shop monkey on them. that's how it is in the real world. Many machine shops actually send it all to one guy in town who does pickup and drop off runs.

if I was bringing a shop a hard to find expensive 60's ferrari flywheel with specific specs, I'd bring them the specs with it so it can get done correctly instead of relying on their initiative to dig for 50 year old data.

So from the recomendations I got I took the flywheel to a local shop and had them resurface it...

There is no longer a "step" in it and it's been ground completly smooth. The shop that did it couldnt tell me how much surface they took off because the tech was no longer there for the day. Im hoping that it will still work even without the "step" in it. Please tell me I dont have to by a new flywheel now because they screwed it up!

They owe you a flywheel. Probably an honest mistake by a younger tech, but if you told them what car the flywheel is from, they can look up the spec. Even the tiniest shops that do flywheel work have thick binders full of flywheel info. Some even have access to the internet.

Take it back, talk to the owner and the tech that did the work. Be a good learning experience for all involved. Do you take it to a mechanic who advertised flywheel resurfacing, or did you go to a true machine shop?

Then again, it might be fine for 100K plus on a DD. I'd just hate waking up each day wondering if I'm gonna have to yank the tranny next weekend because I gave my machinist a pass.

HTH

N

this is why shops are no longer grinding flywheels. you bring in some random ass old bmw flywheel, don't really give them any specs on it. Expect that they will look up all the information. find it, pull the dowel pins, precision grind it and in a step and take your $40. Now some how they owe you a flywheel because they didn't do it right when you didn't bring in any of the info for them to. All the step is for is to engage some pressure plate tension. Sure running one without a step will result in less holding capacity of the clutch ONLY once the clutch disc is worn out. It's not like the guy is going to put another 200k on his 02. Millions of race flywheels come without a step. Life goes on.

The reason he didn't know how much he took off is because flywheel grinders do not have dial indicators on them. You just grind until it's shiny and then measure pre grind and post grind.

Drop it off with a step, pick it up and it's flat, with no explanation. Not acceptable in my book.

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged

have them machine a 0.4 ... 0.5mm step as the factory had.

it belongs there for a reason already mentioned above.

back to Min. Thickness of the flywheel

measured at the clutch friction wearing area -

13.5 mm (0.5315")

please turn to page 11-22/1, job no. 11 22 000

in your BMW Repair Manual

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

If you are unsure about the work performed, bring it to the source and ask for an explanation as to why the contracted work is different than your expectation. If the specifications given you are unneccessary for your application the "shop" might make a plausible case for the work. Up to you.

Daron

post-232-13667668853566_thumb.jpg

post-232-13667668854797_thumb.jpg

Kelly,

If they did end up machining that flywheel down too thin, then I've still got the flywheel that came off of that motor. I've actually got the entire clutch assembly as well that looks to be almost new.

Alex
-'75 2002 with M42

-Spec E30

-'91 318is