• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is my carb toast?

Philbert

My carb runs sweetly. Smooth, lots of power all through the range, but mileage is terrible and I only get a good idle with mixture screw out 3+ turns. Running cd's prescription with sync link on an old, donated 32/36. (Toby B, I think it might have been you who gave it to me about 15 years ago when you were working in a print shop on 9 th av and I was with the construction company across the street and occaisionally ordered prints from you...? So thanks again if it was you, it' s served me wll all these years but may be finally done for.) Note the arc shaped groove that stars at the left end of the shaft and extends part way around the primary barrel in the attached, unfortunately kind of dark photo.(throttle plate removed) I assume the groove's not supposed to be there and is responsible for my carburetor woes. There's an even deeper groove on the other side of the barrel. Is the only remedy a new carb?

Phil in Seattle

post-15775-13667668797077_thumb.jpg

Phil S

74 02 Verona

93 Toyota PU

06 Saab 9-3 wagon

I would say so. If you check the throttle shaft I would guess it is loose in its bearings and slopping about has worn the groove in the body.

I would look for a good 2nd hand carb, chuck a rebuild kit at it and transfer your jets and synch link.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Phil wrote: " you were working in a print shop and I was with the construction company across the street and occaisionally (sic) ordered prints from you."

I'm confused - you need to straighten us out, Toby. My father was a printer all his working years and I always though a print shop was where you got printing done and a photo shop was where you got prints.

Bob Napier

I think I was less than clear. It was a reprographics place not and old school print shop. Even 15 years ago there weren't many of those around. We got construction drawings printed there from CAD files and I THINK the guy behind

the counter MIGHT have been Toby. It was along time ago... He'd have to set us straight

Back to carburetors. Looks like I need a new one- debating 32/36 vs 38/38. I think I'd like the punch of the big guy but not sure I want to pay a whole lot for it at the pump. Also, the environmental hit... What kind of mileage can I expect with the 38/38 compared with the 32/36? Will my manifold work with either one? My motor's a 1.8 liter w/ stock head and exhaust. Is the 38 too much carb?

Phil

Phil S

74 02 Verona

93 Toyota PU

06 Saab 9-3 wagon

Print shop huh?...that explains everything.

it would... if it were true.

but it wasn't me. Sorry, Phil.

heh.

And yeah, +1, if the barrel's grooved around the throttle, there's

no easy fix for that. It'll never transition the way it's supposed to.

(that said, it might transition just as well as stock...or maybe better...)

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Bob. From a pressmans point of view: In todays commercial printing world the term "prints" is used primarily by designers or Arteests referring to short run "lithographs" generally signed and numbered. Much like the GS Tuning posters we've seen threads for on this forum.

To the OP, I recently removed a 40DFAV. I won't start a malestrom of MPG quotation but will say it was not "pain at the pump" even running high test, with high dome pistons and a 300* cam on the street. the synchronous carb definitely had a succinct differentiation in the driving experience as opposed to the 32/36.

Funny thing, the transition is as smooth as could be. It just uses way too much fuel. Just got 18 mpg over the pass and back last weekend. I used to see 30 plus pre-sinc link.

I guess it was some other Toby with a white '71 or 72. Or maybe his name wasn't Toby... Sheesh.

Phil S

74 02 Verona

93 Toyota PU

06 Saab 9-3 wagon

yup, never had a white 2002.

Have you tried taking the sync link out to see if you get back to 30mpg?

You might have discovered a secret to getting the 32 to REALLY perform!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Is my carb toast?

No, but there are lots of carbs in toast.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist that.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.