• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii Fuel line replacement question

Orusty2

Im replacing the plastic fuel lines on my tii , is it possible to replace these without removing the intake manifold? the car is a 72 and has plastic runners doesn't have any intake leaks and id rather not remove them if I don't have to

#1 and 4 I can get to #2 & 3 look like they will be fun either in the form of bending a wrench or removing the intake

anyone been here done this?

thanks in advance

Mike

'72tii

'73

Unless you're doing this as an emergency quick fix repair, you're better off taking the intake tubes off to access the fittings. Order up 8 new O rings for the runners before you proceed with disassembly.

There are several tips for reinstallation here on the FAQ. These include using a heat gun to warm up the plastic, as well as using a super slippery lubricant on the ends, before pressing them back on. I do both when possible, unless it's a nice 90 degree day. They're surprisingly sturdy from my experience. All the talk about vacuum leaks is due to rotting 40 yr old O rings I suspect. You want to make SURE you're turning the line fitting without rotating any part of the injector. That's much easier to do when the tubes are out of the way!

Make sure the new lines clear every spring and linkage pivot, too!!!!

post-2748-13667668795909_thumb.jpg

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

It'll take you about 19 times as long, and you'll find it difficult to get the fittings torqued consistently. Trust me on this one. The runners just pop off, once you loosen the clamps.

Oh...and check out the current price for a tii injector... you don't want to risk screwing one up, or having that massive fuel pressure blast out from a flawed connection.

Any reason you don't want to wait for the arrival of new runner O rings? ;)

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Got to agree with Paul on this. It is much easier to replace those nylon lines when the intake runners are not in place (both the plastic and aluminum runner versions). You can slip an open end wrench from the valve cover side to access one of the nuts (not sure about the older cars that have more restricted plenum (log) mounts).

While you are replacing the lines and the runners are off, you should remove and clean your throttle body. They can get really gunked up past the throttle plate and are almost impossible to clean while mounted on the car.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Those 72 tii's with the plastic runners have lots more parts than the "newer ones".

earlytiiintakeparts.png

Don't forget to clean your t-body!

Mine before

throttlebody3.jpg

After

throttlebodyafter3.jpg

New lines installed without all that intake gobbledy gook in the way.

newfuellines.jpg

Jim Gerock

It can never be just one thing by the time im done with this ill have said :well while im in here 10 times

Thanks jim &paul for the heads up

HA-HA! I started out checking my compression, then it lead to all sorts of credit card mayhem. You'll never learn about these cars until you dive in.

3and4afterhoning.jpg

pics82008004.jpg

pics12608001.jpg

pics81408009.jpg

kfafter2.jpg

Jim Gerock