scmark

Mr. Gasket Fuel Pumps

9 posts / 1129 viewsLast Reply

Does anyone have experience with Mr. Gasket fuel pumps, specifically the 12S or 42S Micro Electronic fuel pumps? I have a '70 I bought some years back, and am starting to go through it. The previous owner replaced the engine with a 318i (M10) engine with the 2BBL 2002 manifold and a 32/36 DGV Weber. As a result of having the 318i without the spot for the mechanical fuel pump he installed an eletric fuel pump that I want to replace with something else.

Don't know about Mr. G, but I've used Facet pumps with success. Reasonably priced.

I have used the 42 before- it worked.

I run a regulator out of paranoia-

I've never had an electric pump that could

put out a steady 2psi, and they used to be cheap...

t

Guest Anonymous

they work fine I have had two in my cars. I currently use one as a fuel transfer pump.

I also have a 318i motor with a 32/36 Weber and a Mr Gasket #42S that was on the car when I bought it. My pump put out just barely 2PSI when I measured it.

The PO mounted the pump on the drivers side inner fender next to the diagnostic port. For power he plugged the hot wire from the pump right into the diagnostic port. Does not look to safe but it works. It is great for when I want to tune car and crank the engine with the pump disconnected. I just pull the wire out of the port.

It is on my long list of things to replace. I want to put a better pump in the rear using the metal return line.

I am also looking at a Carter In-Line Electric Fuel Pump GP60504 (Free Flow Rate:30 gph, Maximum Pressure (psi):4 psi). This one is mentioned also as a possibility.

Make sure the 32/36 can handle 4PSI. You may need a fuel regulator. I also want to hook some type of safety cut out switch so the pump will not continue to run after the engine stops with the key still on. Maybe an oil pressure switch.

A little over a month ago I had a 45 min. conversation with the owner of Metric Mechanic who told me over the years they've tested the output of numerous OE mechanical fuel pumps on the 2002s and they consistently put out 9 psi. He said if your Weber carb has a good needle valve and floats the carb seems to handle the 9 psi with no problem.

He stated that he does not know why some people use pressure regulators to set the pressure at 4 psi. He feels it's not needed if your carb's in good shape.

I've been using Weber carbs for over 30 yrs. with no problem with the 9 psi out of the stock mechanical pump.

Bob Napier

A little over a month ago I had a 45 min. conversation with the owner of Metric Mechanic who told me over the years they've tested the output of numerous OE mechanical fuel pumps on the 2002s and they consistently put out 9 psi. He said if your Weber carb has a good needle valve and floats the carb seems to handle the 9 psi with no problem.

He stated that he does not know why some people use pressure regulators to set the pressure at 4 psi. He feels it's not needed if your carb's in good shape.

I've been using Weber carbs for over 30 yrs. with no problem with the 9 psi out of the stock mechanical pump.

Bob Napier

Thanks Bob, That is good to know. I will keep that in mind when I change out my fuel pump.