brbrian73

Luisi steering wheel hub does not fit

11 posts / 2510 viewsLast Reply

I recently purchased a Luisi steering wheel hub to use with a vintage Nardi steering wheel on my '73 '02. The problem is that the hub does not fit. I have a call into the company I bought it from but I thought I would see if anyone on the forum has any suggestions. According to the seller's information, this hub (S1501) fits 2002s. The splines seem to be the right size but the hold in the hub must be 1mm or so smaller than the shaft. It simply won't slide on. Any thoughts?

Brian

1501 sounds like the right number for 02. Could the splines be damaged on either piece?

It's really bizarre because the splines seem fine on both ends. The original wheel fits cleanly as does another hub I happen to have on hand. This other hub doesn't work with the Nardi wheel so that is why I bought the Luisi hub. The splines on the Luisi hub are new and they appear to be undamaged. I am going to unbox the hub and try one more time but this is really puzzling.

Brian

or is it just on the box? Parts have been known to be placed in the wrong box at the factory...

mike

The mystery deepens. I followed the suggestion to check the part number on the hub and it is correct: 1501. I also removed my steering wheel yet again and tried to gently fit the hub. It just won't go. The splines look fine on the hub and the shaft but the hole on the hub is just too small. It's wild but this hub will have to be sent back. If the seller is stumped as I am, I will have to do some research and try my luck with another type.

Thanks again to everyone for trying to help.

Brian

i buy Ebay boss kits.

They are garbage and always need simple modification to work, so i message the seller saying i'm not happy and get a refund without having to send the crappy boss kit back. (i've done this twice from different Asian sellers)

I had to make a horn contact for the one i'm currently using in my '02 for a Nardi wheel, using a small bolt with a spring pushing it in one direction.

try getting a vernier caliper into the groves at 6 and 12 o'clock and compare with diameter of column splines, or splines in original wheel.

Thanks to everyone for helping with this one. The saga continues. I returned the hub to the seller and he promptly sent me another 1501 that he said is modified. There is no visible difference in the splines, but it fits. The good news did not last for long because I quickly discovered that there was some slop in the wheel after it was mounted. The movement was not side-to-side but I am able to wiggle the steering wheel slightly. It doesn't inspire confidence and it is definitely enough to be annoying. Upon closer inspection, I can see that the hub does not slide all the way on to the shaft. If the hub could slide on another 8mm, it would be solid. Even with the nut securely tightened, there is slop. How can this be? I don't see how this hub can be made to fit. I am about to send it back but I would need to find another hub that will allow me to mount this Nardi wheel. Oh the frustration!

P1190878_zps1d05100a.jpg

P1190887_zpsec02a1ef.jpg

P1190885_zps87681e9e.jpg

P1190882_zps0431bdee.jpg