Where to order street performance 13" tires.

I think the point CD was making was the RA1 can be used on the street and comes in the right size. We have all seen many people drive RA1's on the street. They are a soft compound tire that wears pretty good.

Anything else out there in a 205/60 these days?

John

yes but...

sure, you can you use whatever you want on the street, heck throw some hoosiers on there! ;-) but, folks who don't know need to understand that r-comps are not street tires. from the toyo desc of the RA1,

"While Proxes RA1 radials meet DOT requirements, they are not appropriate for highway use. Proxes RA1 radials are not recommended for driving in wet conditions when shaved or worn where standing water is present and there is the risk of hydroplaning; drivers should drive cautiously at reduced speeds if they encounter these conditions. And like all Track & Competition DOT tires, Proxes RA1 radials are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice. It’s also essential these tires be stored indoors at temperatures maintained above 15 degrees F."

if it is the only tire left in this size and you only drive on dry weekends now and then, it may be the only option short of getting bigger wheels.

Oh. I was going to say Toyo RA1's from tire rack...

t

Toby, I met a guy named Ernie tonight at Sound Mind & Body gym in Fremont. I had an '02 t shirt on and he said he works at Seattle Center with a guy named Toby, who has an '02 and races. Must be you? I'd have sent a direct e-mail but didn't see link/button.

Stu.

Oh, dear gott, Hilsenberger? Say hi for me...

The RA1 is NOT a street tire!

Sure, it is.

(FIGHT!! FIGHT!!!)

Don't shave it, don't drive when it's below freezing, and it

actually works ok for a 'fun in the sun' tire. Especially if you want GOBS of

grip. And good stopping. We race in the wet with 'em full tread, and they're

just fine.

You might even get 10,000 miles a set-

and here's my real point-

if you drive your car a couple of thousand miles a summer, the tires

will age out long before they wear out. So why not have a nice, sticky tire

that you'll have fun on?

(probably a dorky idea for a commuter, though)

Yes, if it's shaved bald, it's not going to work in the wet. That's true of

ANY tire. If it's bald, it's bald.

But I drove all summer on 'track' tires one year, and had a blast. Didn't die,

either.

GREAT idea? Meh, prolly not. Fun, though, and a viable TRUE summer tire. If you don't mind the expense.

But a race tire's a Goodyear or Hoosier slick. The RA1's a lot more tame.

(and yep, finally, Toyo's trying a real race slick-

http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/proxes-rs1-high-performance-competition-tires

http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/proxes-rr-DOT-competition-tires

"Warning: For racing purposes only. Not for highway use")

Wonder if they'll be any good?

t

• 10 months later...

I'm going to resurrect this thread.  It looks like our options for 13" tires are dwindling.  I have Falken Ziex 205/60r13's that rub on the back.  I looked at Falken's website and the don't make Ziex or Azenis in 13 anymore.  Looks like it's DOT track tires or Achilles (link posted earlier in the thread) for those of us who want to run wider 13's. The Achilles are made by Multistrada, which is an Indonesian company. They have some positive things to say on some of the Audi and Fiver sites, but I can't find any "industry" reviews for them.  

I have a feeling by the time my car is ready I will have given up and just bought 15" rims to make finding tires easier.  

-John