NullZwei

Good source for quality relays

13 posts / 564 viewsLast Reply

The last batch of made in China Hella realys I purchased have failed in use. Based on recent threads concerning Asian made parts, it appears parts formerly made in Germany are now being outsourced with, from all indications, quality being a secondary concern to profit margin. That said, does anyone know of a source for quality relays? I'm not sure I'd trust any with either a Hella or Bosch logo on them anymore.

HOW long? or short did your replacement relays last ?

buy from any bmwdealer and be protected by 2-Year/Unlimited

Mile part Warranty

The relays in question were not stock BMW parts. The Hella ones in question were being used for aftermarket applications such as elec. cooling fan, etc. In two instances the relays failed after only cycling a few times with both sticking in the closed position. And, before you ask, they were both properly sized for the application.

I just checked Eagleday. It appears the only universal relays they carry are ones made by Bosch and Hella and sell for $19.95 and $26.99 respectively. There is no indication of where they're made but at those prices, they better be made in Germany by actual Germans. The only other relays they carried seemed to be for specific applications and had no mounting tab which I would need.

Solid state sounds interesting. Any brand or sources you'd recommend?

I have 4 of these in service. On two different cars, with a Haltech ECU I control the electric radiator fan in variable speed, not on-off but variable speed depending on the engine water temperature. I use the other two in constant load. The red led shows when it is closed. Available in various load ratings. I got mine off ebay, Haltech sells same unit for a lot more $.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Solid-State-Relay-SSR-3-32VDC-24-220VDC-40A-/160460011096?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255c297658

Daniel Stern.

He sells the Tyco dual output terminal relays

John

dozen or so Hella or Bosch relays under the hood and elsewhere--all made in Germany! They don't fail very often, especially those that get only occasional use--like horns, high beams etc.

Very cheap at the pick 'n pull...

mike