m3driver49

E21heads on m10 block?

5 posts / 566 viewsLast Reply

I have a 76 2002 currently set up for vintage racing. Now has e12 head, but I want to know if an e21 head is a direct fit or not. If not, can mods be made? Anyone with more experience would be appreciated.

From what i understand some of the later 02s 75/76 years came with E21 heads. So ona stock later 02 Depends on your pistons and the combustion chamber match, as well as the cam and valve size. If you have a race car I would imagine the pistons are higher compression and the intake valves may be 1mm larger. Your cam would also make a difference in that application.

Allot of info out there, but at the end of the day you will have to determine if there is a combustion chamber match, and if you have appropriate valve clearance in your particular application.

Here is a thread that may shed some light...

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/t,313512/sid,cb55cb896b8f8485d7581736d7c3efe2/

Rey

Rey said it-

if the pistons have crowns (not flattop)they have to match the head.

t

e21 head-piano top pistons...not prepped for clearance issue=FAIL

lol....