• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door rust prevention question

NullZwei

I just installed new doors and I'm looking for a good product to apply to the inside bottom of the doors to prevent water migration into the seam where the outer door skin lips over the inner structure. What product has anyone had good luck with for this purpose?

I used a spray can of thin rust prevention fluid (not sure about Wurth but in Canada we have Krown, which works well) with a plastic tube attached. The idea is to start spraying in the upper corners into the seam, pushing the tube into the crease. Work your way down, and then along the bottom. Put an aluminium baking sheet under the open door - this will drip for a while. You can then reapply every few years. Some folks may prefer to fill bottom inside seam with seam filler (sort of thin putty that sets up) or heavy undercoating, but I prefer being able to get into the actual seam. Spray across the top inside of the door too. Ideally, all this is done with the door off the car and standing on end. I did one edge at a time and then rolled door 90 deg.

Before doing the above, I would consider applying some seam filler (I think Eastwood has something) along the seam on the outside bottom of the door that faces in to rocker.

I used a spray can of thin rust prevention fluid (not sure about Wurth but in Canada we have Krown, which works well) with a plastic tube attached. The idea is to start spraying in the upper corners into the seam, pushing the tube into the crease. Work your way down, and then along the bottom. Put an aluminium baking sheet under the open door - this will drip for a while. You can then reapply every few years. Some folks may prefer to fill bottom inside seam with seam filler (sort of thin putty that sets up) or heavy undercoating, but I prefer being able to get into the actual seam. Spray across the top inside of the door too. Ideally, all this is done with the door off the car and standing on end. I did one edge at a time and then rolled door 90 deg.

Before doing the above, I would consider applying some seam filler (I think Eastwood has something) along the seam on the outside bottom of the door that faces in to rocker.

Good stuff I have used in the past is a product called Waxoyl. Made in the UK, do not know where to source, but willing to bet places that provide bits for LBCs, like Moss Motors or Victoria British would have it.

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

In 1997 I sprayed 3M's "rust fighter I" into the (not all that pristine) doors on

Jenn's car. 15 years later, all outside winters, there's no door rust yet.

what I gone and done...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

BAC-259.jpg

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=31507

or just fill a spray bottle with your next waste oil change

and spray where your want - park in your neighbors

driveway over night while the excess drips off!

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Sorry for duplicate posts.

I've used Waxoyl too. I used it on all the inside panels, including the nose, on my CS, and it's still there 25 years later. It sets up nicely on vertical surfaces, but doesn't creep as well as the thinner spray. Consider it for the rest of the inside door panel after the seam spray.

is called RusFree--comes in a spray can with a long wand extension. I've used it for years on blind interior panels like your doors with very good results.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

If I recall waxOyl is temperature sensitive, mainly to the heat, it can melt.

If Florida with a black car it may end up going out the drain holes over time.

69 Baur 1600

71 Euro 02

75 02 w/ box flares

72 E3 73 E9

85 Baur 323 E30

99 Z3 coupe track car

08 Z4 coupe DD

Hi there

I used a polyurethane paint called Rust Bullet http://www.rustbullet.com/ . I first degreased and cleaned with POR15s Marine Clean and Prep and Ready. The PU paint is nice because it requires (molecular) moisture to set so it pulls it from the metal (if any) (apposed to being dripping wet). Also, tough as nails.

Regards

'73 Bavaria, '80 Land Rover Series 2a, '71 2002, '69 2002, '74 3.0s

Goin off topic, but think its a good one, how can we prevent rust in rockers, same idea as these door tips but not sure if possible or how to? thank u kindly

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

I did the same thing to the rockers as the doors, only a lot more so, with

similarly good results...

Lots of whatever 'waxy oil' product you choose, and do your best to try to

spray the entire perimeter.

Most of 'em will let the excess drain out, and that seemed to work great in our case.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL