NullZwei

Door rust prevention question

15 posts / 1376 viewsLast Reply

I just installed new doors and I'm looking for a good product to apply to the inside bottom of the doors to prevent water migration into the seam where the outer door skin lips over the inner structure. What product has anyone had good luck with for this purpose?

A waxy product will seal the inside of the door. Wurth has it! Also make sure the chrome exterior trim with seal are in good cond. ( top of the door). This prevents water from entering the inside door area!

I used a spray can of thin rust prevention fluid (not sure about Wurth but in Canada we have Krown, which works well) with a plastic tube attached. The idea is to start spraying in the upper corners into the seam, pushing the tube into the crease. Work your way down, and then along the bottom. Put an aluminium baking sheet under the open door - this will drip for a while. You can then reapply every few years. Some folks may prefer to fill bottom inside seam with seam filler (sort of thin putty that sets up) or heavy undercoating, but I prefer being able to get into the actual seam. Spray across the top inside of the door too. Ideally, all this is done with the door off the car and standing on end. I did one edge at a time and then rolled door 90 deg.

Before doing the above, I would consider applying some seam filler (I think Eastwood has something) along the seam on the outside bottom of the door that faces in to rocker.

I used a spray can of thin rust prevention fluid (not sure about Wurth but in Canada we have Krown, which works well) with a plastic tube attached. The idea is to start spraying in the upper corners into the seam, pushing the tube into the crease. Work your way down, and then along the bottom. Put an aluminium baking sheet under the open door - this will drip for a while. You can then reapply every few years. Some folks may prefer to fill bottom inside seam with seam filler (sort of thin putty that sets up) or heavy undercoating, but I prefer being able to get into the actual seam. Spray across the top inside of the door too. Ideally, all this is done with the door off the car and standing on end. I did one edge at a time and then rolled door 90 deg.

Before doing the above, I would consider applying some seam filler (I think Eastwood has something) along the seam on the outside bottom of the door that faces in to rocker.

Good stuff I have used in the past is a product called Waxoyl. Made in the UK, do not know where to source, but willing to bet places that provide bits for LBCs, like Moss Motors or Victoria British would have it.

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

In 1997 I sprayed 3M's "rust fighter I" into the (not all that pristine) doors on

Jenn's car. 15 years later, all outside winters, there's no door rust yet.

what I gone and done...

t

Sorry for duplicate posts.

I've used Waxoyl too. I used it on all the inside panels, including the nose, on my CS, and it's still there 25 years later. It sets up nicely on vertical surfaces, but doesn't creep as well as the thinner spray. Consider it for the rest of the inside door panel after the seam spray.

is called RusFree--comes in a spray can with a long wand extension. I've used it for years on blind interior panels like your doors with very good results.

mike

If I recall waxOyl is temperature sensitive, mainly to the heat, it can melt.

If Florida with a black car it may end up going out the drain holes over time.

Hi there

I used a polyurethane paint called Rust Bullet http://www.rustbullet.com/ . I first degreased and cleaned with POR15s Marine Clean and Prep and Ready. The PU paint is nice because it requires (molecular) moisture to set so it pulls it from the metal (if any) (apposed to being dripping wet). Also, tough as nails.

Regards

Goin off topic, but think its a good one, how can we prevent rust in rockers, same idea as these door tips but not sure if possible or how to? thank u kindly

I did the same thing to the rockers as the doors, only a lot more so, with

similarly good results...

Lots of whatever 'waxy oil' product you choose, and do your best to try to

spray the entire perimeter.

Most of 'em will let the excess drain out, and that seemed to work great in our case.

t