RAS-2002

KYB vs Bilsteins

7 posts / 1682 viewsLast Reply

KYB's are fine for a stock setup.

On firmer springs they will have far too little dampening and will make the ride a bit too bouncy. Bilsteins perform way better all around and are pretty much a requirement when shorter springs are fitted.

Match shocks to spring.

Over sprung and under-dampened is bad, and over-dampened and under-sprung is terrible as well.

I always felt that the rear KYB's were too stiff. Billy HD's are the way to go if you can swing the price diff.

John

I have a full set of KYB's in very good condition (the fronts have never been installed) if you decide to go with KYB. Yours for $150 shipped in the continental US. Email me via the link if you're interested.

KYB may be fine on a road car. I put them on my '74 when I first got it, and they were very stiff. After 4 seasons of autocrossing plus some DEs, I can now compress the rears with one finger. (have not checked the fronts) Bilsteins have a better reputation, and a lifetime warranty (last time I checked). KYB is a good budget shock, certainly an improvement over worn out stock stuff, but if I were to do it again, I'd do Bilsteins or Konis. (actually have a set of Konis ready to go on the '76)

David

I have had KYBs on both a '71 1600, and at least 2 2002s, and have had Bilstein sports and Bilstein HDs on 2 2002s. I think you will find that the Bilstein HDs are worth the extra money. I have them with Ireland Engineering stage 1 springs, and the ride is very smooth, not harsh, yet firm. The sports are very nice, of course, but considerably stiffer. The KYBs are, in my experience, like rocks. Very stiff, poor ride.