• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BIMMER Magazine hires a 2002 freak!

wegweiser

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Subscribed! Looking forward to it!

LOL! And if on cue, http://www.bimmer-mag.com/issues/113/articles/the-is-mystique?page=1

an article about my other 4 cyllinder. And I quote, "...the 318’s four-cylinder recalls the thrashy and infectious character of the classic 2002.

..But if you want one of your own, you’d better get one quick. These cars are disappearing fast, and those that remain are being squirreled away in enthusiasts’ garages. We can’t say we blame them,..."

I kinda hate to be THAT guy but, after reading the above-referenced article in Bimmer magazine, I have a couple of concerns. I am not sure what this means but.... it appears that the author of that article did not do his homework, and/or the editors are uninformed, or just not paying attention.

FWIW.

I realize that the main focus of the article was on the E30. The introductory paragraphs, however, reference the E21, and therein lie some problems:

1) "The precedent was set in 1980 with the launch of the E21 320is, the first BMW to have “is” added to its model name. " As far as I can determine BMW NEVER officially had a model badged "320is". BMW did introduce a 320i with a "Sport Package". That package did include LSD, sport steering wheel, recaros, front air dam special wheels, etc. But it was not badged as 320is. In fact, one of the distinguishing marks of that 320i with 'sport package' was the complete absence of badging on the trunk lid.

2) "The M20 motor and gearbox were standard issue 320i". Whoa! Simply not true. NO 320i ever had the M20! Not one! The E21 did have the M20 engine in two versions, but they were Euro versions ---not available in the US except through the grey market---- and NEITHER was badged as the 320i. The first M20 version in the E21 was the 320, (baby six) which was a carbureted 2.0L engine---- hence it was badged simply 320 NOT 320i. The second version was the 323i..... 2.3L fuel injected six cylinder. The 'i" designation, as I am sure everyone knows, denotes fuel injection on these cars. Neither of those E21 M20s were known as the 320i.

3) "The 320is was never offered in the U.S." This is just very confusing. Since there was no BMW badged '320is', this is a true statement.... but it was never offered ANYWHERE, so of course it wasn't offered in the US! Or anywhere else. The 320i with the "Sport Package' was available in the US and elsewhere, although in very limited numbers (perhaps 2500 total).

I don't want to be too nit-picky here, and I understand that the author was probably just quickly adding a little historical background to the main point of his article about the E30. It appears he got his E21 info mainly from Wikipedia.... and, as shocking as it may seem, Wikipedia is WRONG on this! Gasp!

:)

Anyway, I was quite surprised to see this info in the article--- and believe me, I wasn't looking for it---- but I thought it should be noted. The E21 is largely over looked, and overshadowed, by its more famous, and iconic, 2002 and E30 brethren, which the author does mention. ("E30s as a whole have attained a desirability that’s almost on par with that of the earlier 2002s, the enthusiast fan base having essentially bypassed the intervening E21s.') So it is perhaps not all that surprising that inaccurate info like this gets published.

FWIW.

That being said, I can't wait to see Paul's articles! I know he won't make the mistakes that the author of the above article apparently did.

Tom

Connecticut

Home for Feral BMWs

1973 2002 Malaga (with frosting), 1982 323i Baur

1991 325ix (winter), 1977 320i (carbed), 1989 325ix

1989 325iC (summer), 1979 323i (project), 1978 320i (parts)

http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/

Congrats Paul. I assume the story of the F-Bomb will be in there somewhere. With Jenny, Sam Smith Mike and others out of Roundel, I'll need another source of 02 material to feed my habit.

I'm subscribing.

Mike

76 Malaga (Molly)

Mods:

Weber

Recaro

Eibach

Bilstein

Panasport

Ansi

Parker

Ireland Eng.

'72 Tii Project

^^ that article says that the m20 was standard issue in the 320i.. Lol. Umm, know your model designations, and their meanings guys.

Paul, get their back. That crap can't happen on your watch.

Congratulations on the new gig. You're gonna be a natural, and bring a whole new personality to the rag. They have no idea what's in store for them, I'm sure!!

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

^^ that article says that the m20 was standard issue in the 320i.. Lol. Umm, know your model designations, and their meanings guys.

Congratulations on the new gig. You're gonna be a natural, and bring a whole new personality to the rag. They have no idea what's in store for them, I'm sure!!

Just to clarify, there is indeed a typo in the intro to the story on the E30 "is" models -- two, actually. The first is obviously the "M20" used with reference to the E21 320is. That was a four-cylinder, yeah, but the six-cylinder E21s did have an M20 six, both the 320/6 and the 323i that we didn't get in the US.

But there was, contrary to what is posted above, a "320iS" model sold here. Maybe it didn't say that on the badge - I honestly can't remember - but that's what BMW NA called it in 1980. We should have capitalized the "S" rather than running it as "320is," but the model did exist even if it isn't as well-known as its E30 counterparts.

I know that Jeremy Walton isn't always a reliable source, but if you look at page 27 of his book on the 3 Series, he writes, [in 1980] "Customers could also opt for the 320i "S" package (the first 320iS) at $2,475, which brought the Luxus features together with sportier items such as Recaro seats..."

In any event, thanks for keeping us on our toes. If it weren't for readers who know more than we do about any given aspect of BMW, we'd never get anything right. The pressure helps, really! Now, if only I had the budget for a proofreader and fact checker who wasn't also the editor in chief!

Just to clarify, there is indeed a typo in the intro to the story on the E30 "is" models -- two, actually. The first is obviously the "M20" used with reference to the E21 320is. That was a four-cylinder, yeah, but the six-cylinder E21s did have an M20 six, both the 320/6 and the 323i that we didn't get in the US.

But there was, contrary to what is posted above, a "320iS" model sold here. Maybe it didn't say that on the badge - I honestly can't remember - but that's what BMW NA called it in 1980. We should have capitalized the "S" rather than running it as "320is," but the model did exist even if it isn't as well-known as its E30 counterparts.

I know that Jeremy Walton isn't always a reliable source, but if you look at page 27 of his book on the 3 Series, he writes, [in 1980] "Customers could also opt for the 320i "S" package (the first 320iS) at $2,475, which brought the Luxus features together with sportier items such as Recaro seats..."

In any event, thanks for keeping us on our toes. If it weren't for readers who know more than we do about any given aspect of BMW, we'd never get anything right. The pressure helps, really! Now, if only I had the budget for a proofreader and fact checker who wasn't also the editor in chief!

Hi Jackie,

We may be splitting hairs here. Or we may have an explanation of the discrepancy in the 320i vs "320iS" designation.

I have included/attached a number (there should be a total of 8) of original E21 brochures along with an original dealer sticker. They refer to "edition S" and to the 'sporty 'S' package". I have not found any brochure, in German or in English, that makes reference to either the '320is' or the '320iS".

As you can clearly see in the brochures, however, the references to the "S" package, Edition S or the "Sport Package' are all referring to what some folks have taken to calling the '320iS". That designation is not used in any of the brochures, however.

The one place you DO see the 320is designation is on the attached dealer sticker, which also makes clear reference to that '320is' having the "Sport Package".

Therein lies the possible explanation: that dealer sticker was prepared by the DEALER, not the factory. And the DEALER chose to distinguish this "Sport Package' model from the regular 320i by typing '320is' onto the sticker.

Theory: the 320is designation was a convention adopted by US dealerships for marketing purposes, although the factory never made any designation other than the "Edition S", "S" Package or "Sport Package'.

To disprove this theory I would need to see a factory brochure that uses the "320is' designation, or an owner's manual that cites a 320is model. I have yet to see either.

EditionE-S_3.jpg

EditionE-S_4.jpg

EditionE-S_2.jpg

EditionE-S_1.jpg

post-22228-13667668869792_thumb.jpg

post-22228-13667668870861_thumb.jpg

post-22228-13667668872199_thumb.jpg

post-22228-13667668873676_thumb.jpg

Tom

Connecticut

Home for Feral BMWs

Thanks, but that article refers to the E30 320is, not the E21 '320is", which is what this discussion is about. No one is disputing whether the E30 had an 'is' model. It did.

Tom

Connecticut

Home for Feral BMWs

Splitting hairs is what this is all about -- that is, the notion that facts matter and that getting things right is important!

I need to issue a correction for the next issue, and I'd like to credit not just this board for bringing this to my attention but also tomscat1 for supplying the scans of the brochure that clarifies the matter. Can you PM me somehow with your real name so that I can do so? Thanks.

Splitting hairs is what this is all about -- that is, the notion that facts matter and that getting things right is important!

I need to issue a correction for the next issue, and I'd like to credit not just this board for bringing this to my attention but also tomscat1 for supplying the scans of the brochure that clarifies the matter. Can you PM me somehow with your real name so that I can do so? Thanks.

Thank you for your gracious consideration..... email sent, including some other guys who deserve some of the credit.

:)

Tom

Connecticut

Home for Feral BMWs