• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pedal Box Fun.

PaulTWinterton

• 3 weeks later...

I generally followed the instructions at http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/22/33/

I chose to have mine powder coated which looks great. I installed the brake/clutch pedal assembly outside of the car. Since the accelerator fits in differently I installed it once the assembly was in the car. I did learn not to completely tighten the bolts until I had everything else hooked up.

When re-connecting the speedometer cable I ended up loosening (not removing) the nut behind the speedometer gauge (reach up behind the instrument cluster) and loosely installing the end on the transmission without threading the cable around the hook on the pedal box. Once both ends are connected (but not tightened, I was able to slide the cable through the hook on the pedal box and then tighten both ends of the cable. My car has a 5-speed in it which requires the longer cable originally intended for an automatic, but it barely reaches.

There is one available on EBay now. Item # 300859582115

'71 02 - parts car with not many parts left

'73 02 - weekend toy and money pit

'74 04 - sold in '91

'03 325iT - for trips and bad weather

'03 50cc Honda Scooter - for my 2 mile commute

'06 50cc Honda scooter - wife's commuter

• 2 years later...

IMG_8579.jpg

So... the long bolt that goes through the pedals has a NUT on the outside of the car?  I loosened mine up and it just spins on the inside right of the gas pedal without coming out.  I guess I need a vice grip to hold it on the outside of the pedal box? I'm wondering if there a way to take the CLUTCH PEDAL OFF with out taking out the pedal box?  I'm replacing a master cylinder and a clutch pedal / spring and was wondering if I could do this repair without pulling the pedal box out completely. I need to replace just the clutch pedal and the clutch pedal spring only and wonder if I could free up the bolt enough to pull out the long bolt or take the clutch pedal off.  This thread helps a lot to visualize the repair.  Thanks!

Edited by FL02

IMG_8579.jpg

So... the long bolt that goes through the pedals has a NUT on the outside of the car?  I loosened mine up and it just spins on the inside right of the gas pedal without coming out.  I guess I need a vice grip to hold it on the outside of the pedal box? I'm wondering if there a way to take the CLUTCH PEDAL OFF with out taking out the pedal box?  I'm replacing a master cylinder and a clutch pedal / spring and was wondering if I could do this repair without pulling the pedal box out completely. I need to replace just the clutch pedal and the clutch pedal spring only and wonder if I could free up the bolt enough to pull out the long bolt or take the clutch pedal off.  This thread helps a lot to visualize the repair.  Thanks!

Yes, you can do it with the box still in the car but it's a way bigger pain in the ass. Marshall had a write-up a while back where he did with the box still in. I opted to take mine out and clean it all up. The box wasn't that bad. The clutch slave was the bigger pain to be honest. Toughest part about doing the job with the box in the car is getting enough room to put all of the washers, spacers, pedals together and sliding the long bolt through.

mike tunney

post-41531-0-48479600-1445010401_thumb.p

anybody know what #8 is (35 31 4 440 118)? I ordered my parts through BMW and realized after they all showed up and comparing my pedal box to this, I do not have this spring... I will also say that my clutch pedal definitely looks different then this one. 

post-41531-0-48479600-1445010401_thumb.p

Daily '74 BMW 2002 w/ Dual 40's

Signature

Visit my Wheelwell to see what I've done to the car

anybody know what #8 is (35 31 4 440 118)? I ordered my parts through BMW and realized after they all showed up and comparing my pedal box to this, I do not have this spring... I will also say that my clutch pedal definitely looks different then this one.

look at the pedal box picture at the start of this thread.  On mine the only spring that looks like that is on the brake pedal.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

lilcphoto - Unless you have an early car that clutch spring does not apply to you, it (and the little u-lever) were replaced by the spring that has one end laying flat on the box to give it tension.

As mentioned the toughest part of the box rebuild is getting everything stacked in there.  I've measured that distance on about 15-ish boxes now and found a variation of up to a little over an 1/8" inch.  It's never impossible, just takes some patience (and/or some gentle hammer taps.  It is critical to get each of the shim washers in there to keep the bearings from binding.
-----------------------------------------------------------

FL02 - Yes, there's a nut on the outside of the box.  To just replace the master you could just remove the bolt holding the master cylinder arm to the pedal (there are a couple black shim bushings there that you will probably want to replace as well.  To replace the clutch pedal spring you need to slide the pedal assembly bolt over ( tap the bolt using a dowel or screwdriver of a similar diameter to help keep things together), but you wouldn't need to COMPLETELY remove it. 

Here are some more reference photos.
http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/116731-m20-triple-weber-build-x2/page-5

• 2 months later...