nbristow01

Which VDO electronic speedo

16 posts / 2920 viewsLast Reply

will fit into the stock cluster? I saw a few posts but none gave a model number or diameter. From what I meaured a 3-1/8th should fit, but also they sell a 3-3/8th. I saw on Summitt they sell a clamp on Hall Sensor kit to go on the driveshaft. For about 30 bucks.

My speedo is dead and was out of calibration anyway. So opting for an electronic that I can set and be accurate

North Hollywood Clock Service is now offering a service in which they modify your existing speedo. It will run off a gps signal. Very simple, clean and self-contained. Pricey being in the $300 range.

Nate Williams

That would be nice...I am assuming it has an odometer as well. Issue I have had in the past with GPS is the lag time. You may hit 75 and it reads 71 then cathes up. Maybe they have fixed this by now

Clay I saw your post where you or a friend had installed a new VDO guage into the cluster. Do you know what diameter it was and which model?

Just converted mine using Switec stepper motors controlled by an Arduino.

I butchered a VW instrument pod for the motors and illuminated needles.

post-17424-13667668537802_thumb.jpg

post-17424-13667668538842_thumb.jpg

post-17424-1366766854021_thumb.jpg

I buttered a VW instrument pod for the motors and illuminated needles.

I have no idea what that means...but sure looks nice!

Clay I saw your post where you or a friend had installed a new VDO guage into the cluster. Do you know what diameter it was and which model?

3-1/8" VDO is a little loose and the 3-3/8" requires a little filing, according to Jakeb.

the 3-3/8" requires a little filing, according to Jakeb.

I used a 3 3/8" tach, and found the same thing- tabs, maybe, needed a bit

of fitment.

Looks OK, though.

t

3-1/8" VDO is a little loose and the 3-3/8" requires a little filing, according to Jakeb.

Clay is the build on that in your blog? It appears as if you used the dial off the 02 and put it over the dial on the VDO? But how did you attach the stock needle?

I butchered a VW instrument pod for the motors and illuminated needles.

That is boss right there. I was just reading a hackaday article on this. What are you using for speed sensor?

Clay is the build on that in your blog? It appears as if you used the dial off the 02 and put it over the dial on the VDO? But how did you attach the stock needle?

Nick,

I used the guts from the VDO with a stock 2002 needle and a custom face.

I didn't do a step by step build, but you can see my pictures on my project blog. Email me through the link and I'll see if I can get you started.

That is boss right there. I was just reading a hackaday article on this. What are you using for speed sensor?

Cheers, I'm planning on using a proximity (inductive) sensor on the CV bolt heads. Arduino will take a pseudo interrupt type input on the serial line but haven't tried it out as yet.

Rgrds