• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motor swap any ideas? track car only

granth

Nissan SR20DET

The Good.

1.Tough as nails

2. Lots of aftermarket support (the drift and JDM crowd loves them)

3. Hits your output target in stock form while running pump gas

4. Nissan made oodels of them

5. Early 90s 'lectronics

6. Was put in AWD FWD and RWD platforms

The Bad.

1. Not imported to the US

76 '02 owned 20 years.....project for the last 13. I should probably be faster than the rust I'm chasing.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nissan SR20DET

The Good.

1.Tough as nails

5. Early 90s 'lectronics

The Bad.

+1, but the inlet/exhaust are the wrong way around, so, hard to fit to LHD cars, although not impossible to get around. NoahTeates and his N2 are a perfect example...

Nissan SR20DET

The Good.

1.Tough as nails

5. Early 90s 'lectronics

The Bad.

and best put in a RHD 02 as the exhaust and induction are on opposite sides to an m10, so on a LHD car you'll have steering box/manifold hassle. Plus personally I'd want an NA engine in a track car.

8016860010_large.jpg

I think CD's pulling our leg!

Nick

So much hate for the Saabs. I've owned 6 so far, one 99, one 900, and 4 9000s. Not saying I'd ever put one of the old motors in something else but I would/have seriously considered swapping something a little gruntier into an EMS.

As far as 02s go, I'd have to side with everyone else and say s2000, its a hard swap to beat these days.

mine sugg. was a ref./funny to the "EMS" ref above me

guess Nick is the only one who know's

what a SAAB EMS is - and the year ems

i used would not be my first choice as

that one was Bosch Electronic Injection -

up to 1974 - you of course would want to use a

1975-on Bosch CIS injected version.

Not all saabs are TURBO. )~*(

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Ford Duratec (From 2005 up Focus, Fusions, Escapes, Rangers etc). You can get these really cheap, though all but Ranger are in FWD applications so you have to fab up or buy a bunch of parts to make RWD........but you can get the MX-5 (2006 and up) engine and trans, or just trans......

I've got a 2.0L going in to a 66' Cortina, with ITB's and exhaust it should be getting close to 200hp...add cams and some more work, pushing 250....

So, depending on what you want to do, an S2000 is already there, so ya....

-Bryan

red73

73' 2002 "red"

66' 2 Door Cortina GT

http://mk1cortinasearch.blogspot.com/

s2000. boom!!! [/img]

That's the owner (I believe) of Auto Heaven in Sacramento that did this swap. I have seen the car at some Eurosunday events. Great conversion, engine very quiet at idle, but when you rev it, sounds like it's ready for Laguna Seca. He said it cost a fraction of an S14 swap, and is thinking about selling a kit.

http://www.catuned.com/bfsprojects/details/3

Dieter

Current:

- 1970 Colorado 2002, 1982 323i, 1972 Porsche 914, 1956 Porsche 356A Coupe replica, 2003 Mini Cooper S

Past:

- 1980 320is Turbo, 1972 Malaga 2002tii, 1973 Polaris 2002tii, 1973 Sahara 2002, 1981 Alpina C1 2.3, 1989 M3, 1984 Hardy & Beck 327S

Nissan SR20DET

The Good.

1.Tough as nails

5. Early 90s 'lectronics

The Bad.

and best put in a RHD 02 as the exhaust and induction are on opposite sides to an m10, so on a LHD car you'll have steering box/manifold hassle. Plus personally I'd want an NA engine in a track car.

Nick

seems to work fine in LHD car too..

DSCN2671_zpsc06fe31b.jpg

2xM3

Nissan SR20DET

The Good.

1.Tough as nails

5. Early 90s 'lectronics

The Bad.

Nick

seems to work fine in LHD car too..

DSCN2671_zpsc06fe31b.jpg

Sure, with a rack conversion and some trick custom control arms, it's simple. :-)

I always thought a GM Vortec 4.3 would look/fit nice in the engine bay.

Don't know how much fab work it would take but the motor is CHEAP and EASY. Plethora of aftermarket go-fast goodies. Different and fast... hmmm

1974 2002 - Automatic