Motor swap any ideas? track car only

granth

track car so we can make mods that my not work for the street...

Been down the hot m10 route, fun but want Miata type reliability and cheap motor, complete long block JDM 1k 99/00. Layout of the Mazda motor has intake and exhaust on the wrong sides.

Here are my needs?

CA pump gas - no race gas

stockish motor 170/180 whp 4 cly same layout as M10 (intake/exahust)

5 speed trans (NO 6 speed) seen to many blown motors from bad down shifts with 6 speeds, this rules out S2k.

Do not want narrow power band (torque).

Able to use AEM EMS-4, NO MSDIY too much hassle for the effort. AEM EMS-4 much better solution, install base map then let Church do his magic

let me know what you think...

thanks

grant

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you know more about those incidents with 6-speed? Maybe testing unfamiliar car or too eager driver in the beginning of learning curve with new 6-speed? I'm just comparing to dogleg 5-speed. Sure it takes some time to get used to but I wouldn't see it as a problem.

S2K would be quite appealing to me as you perhaps noticed :)

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

I'm thinking 13b rotary engine.....cheap, powerful, plentiful, reliable, proven, & lots O aftermarket support. Zoom Zoom

1995 Toyota Landcruiser

1975 2002A

1989 Dodge Raider (sold)

1974 Toyota Landcruiser (very sadly sold)

1994 BMW 530i (sold)

1992 BMW 325i (sold)

1970 2002 auto sunroof (sold)

want Miata type reliability and cheap motor

Honda S2k. Really. And cut the tunnel for the trans.

You can't build half an M10 for 250bhp for what you can buy

a complete S2k driveline. All day. Off the shelf.

Conversion might cost the other half- but probably not, since

really, all you need's a driveshaft... and half a degree in Honda Electronics.

Oh, and a welder...

And that motor's got the 'gotta go now' feel that would be a real winner in a track car.

I was seriously considering it in mine for an SPU car- no maintenance,

low hassle, everything...

(and dear God, do NOT put a Saab into it! CD's back into the mushrooms or something)

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

EMS-4 motor rocks!

Saab-99-EMS-3.jpg

can I hear you say TURBO-LAG!!!! Is there even a gearbox solution for RWD?

Hack it into the boot floor and keep the shite transaxle. To be fair the 4 speed is fine. You could probably turn it round and use a triumph / rover 5spd from a TR7 or Stag. Perhaps go with something Japanese instead...

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Do you know more about those incidents with 6-speed? Maybe testing unfamiliar car or too eager driver in the beginning of learning curve with new 6-speed?

S2K would be quite appealing to me as you perhaps noticed :)

Tommy

You can build a early AP2 motor 04/05 to protect against the the 6 to 3 or 5 to down shift, but i would like to just get a used JDM motor to start before going further. As far as the two motors that i have seen in the last 6 months both were very good drivers in own car, so makes me wonder. Same holds true for the miata 6 speed even more blown motors, lost count. But at 1k each you can afford to do that. I think the 6 speed is better in the S2k than the miata.

want Miata type reliability and cheap motor

Honda S2k. Really. And cut the tunnel for the trans.

You can't build half an M10 for 250bhp for what you can buy

a complete S2k driveline. All day. Off the shelf.

Conversion might cost the other half- but probably not, since

really, all you need's a driveshaft... and half a degree in Honda Electronics.

Oh, and a welder...

I was seriously considering it in mine for an SPU car- no maintenance,

low hassle, everything...

t

You do not even need the Honda dash, the AEM EMS-4 (ECU) will do it all. You are correct Toby you can get a complete running AP2 motor/trans for about 3k, ECU 1k, motor mount kit $650, drive shaft mod $?, misc and fab cost $3k. call it 10k. no hassle car hmmm...

Rotary engine good......http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/t,322432/start,1/postdays,0/postorder,asc/highlight,/sid,f3f67d3cee465953eaa37ee76dca1cb8/

1995 Toyota Landcruiser

1975 2002A

1989 Dodge Raider (sold)

1974 Toyota Landcruiser (very sadly sold)

1994 BMW 530i (sold)

1992 BMW 325i (sold)

1970 2002 auto sunroof (sold)

can I hear you say TURBO-LAG!!!!

no, you can't, because THERE'S NOT EVEN A TURBO ON THAT ENGINE!

hee hee hee-

no, that's at the 'Shroomin' CD, not you, 'cause really, Saabs are something

you might transplant engines INTO... if you cared...

heh

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Archived