SallyBernard

tii exhaust mani No bracket mounting holes Do I need ??

7 posts / 304 viewsLast Reply

Newbie here. I have a 1976 California car w/EGR and Air pump thermal reactor type exhaust manifold, which I have removed in order to replace with what I think is referred to as a Tii manifold. As the photos show, the old, heavier mainfold had a bracket that attached to the engine block right where the downtube connects. I --->HOPE<--- that the new plain jane manifold I bought is lighter and therefore does not need that bracket...???

I do have, and of course will reinstall, the tranny bracket. Can I dispense with the bracket for which I have no way to mount? THANKS GUYS!

aaa.JPG

bbb.JPG

Sally:

How are you going to pass the next smog test? Without the EGR manifold, it won't pass the visual inspection. The bracket mounting holes on the 76 were used to help with cracks in the manifold from excessive vibration. Earlier cars had the bracket from the down tube to the transmission only, but later they added more support by adding a bracket from the manifold to the block.

Mark92131

How are you going to pass the next smog test? Without the EGR manifold, it won't pass the visual inspection.

Excellent point but perhaps she lives outside California, and just happens to have a California-version car....

Steve

I should have said I am in NYS ;>) I note the 49 state versions seem to have the unbracketed manifold (even with the air injectors), which is what I assume I essentiall have. Was the bracket added to the California cars becuase it is bulkier and heavier? Thanks guys for the speedy replies, most appreciated!

Sally,

I suspect the answer, as you have said, is that the thermal reactor exhaust manifolds were heavier (and perhaps even more fragile due to high heat retention) than the air-pump only manifolds. '75 models all had thermal reactors and air pumps. But '76 models were, as you also know, split between California versions (thermal reactor and air pump) and 49-state version (air pump alone).

Good luck with your project!

Steve

Good. I'd hate to think I spent all those hours removing the thermal reactor for naught ;>) It is likely that there will be little noticeable difference between the old vs. new manifold, but...I have fun getting in there and monkeying about ;>)

THANKS GUYS!