Sign in to follow this  
Catman

320 oil pump

9 posts / 1406 viewsLast Reply

Im rebuilding the motor in my 74' The pump is scored in side---

I bought a 320i parts car for the 5 speed to convert w/my new motor.

Ive pulled the pump out of the 320 - eccept for a couple small differences they look the same. Pick up and the cover for the pressure valve??

Thats it- It has the old style flange and 3 bolt gear even.Its in good shape.

Chime in I can take it- whats the verdict.Will it work-change the pu ? No ?

Catman

replace the pickup portion on the E21 pump. During my 2002 engine reubuild, I found a new 320 pump for $75 and made this swap. Been working just fine for the past 8 years/35k miles...

mike

Just what i needed to Hear.I have seen new ones now for 225.00.While looking. This one is ok though.

Thanks Mike - Catman

Comparing part numbers of the pieces, many of the same parts are used in the 02, E21 and S14 pumps. The older 02 pumps do not have a wear plate on the suction side of the rotors (rotors in positive displacement pumps, impellers in centrifugal pumps) The suction head is soft material and takes most wear. The driven part, that the rotor turns, thrusts against the suction housing (60+ psig on discharge side, 0- psig on the suction side).

I compared pumps in hand and it looks like a wear plate can be inserted in the older 02 pump as well. I wouldn't hesistate to use the E21 pump or any of the above pumps in any of the engines with the correct suctin head/pickup screen head.

Thanks man - I have been lucky enough to have a guy that has been working on BMWs for the last 30 yrs and has a stash of motors.However doesnt mess with converting or keeping up with what will work with what. He gave me 4 pumps he had in motors setting around the shop floor.They are being washed and inspected as we speak.I was hoping the wear plate would work in the 02 body and pickup. The 320 pick up is supposed to work as long as you use the 320 pan with a baffle.

Catman

Consider yourself EXTREMELY fortunate. M10 pumps are now dealer only with the Febi's all sold (dealer list price is now between $625-$665 each).

YES - AS OF 2/11/2012 THE M10 OIL PUMP

IS $666.00 SUGG. LIST PRICE

- 40 IN STOCK IN US DEPOTS

PART NO. 11.41.1.269.549

M10OILPUMP.jpg

Buy a S14 pump at $414 and put your suction head on it. Send me the $250 you saved!

Does the gear line up? -s-14 pump and gear mount straight on my 74 M-10 using timing and oil chain and gears for my M-10.

I'll do it. VAC has a hand full left.

Thanks