• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Riviera M2 Build

02tom

sDSC03877.jpgQuick update - fitting the engine and transmission to check clearances - amazingly, this only took a few hours yesterday to accomplish with installing from underneath.  The AC compressor pulley looked really close to the front panel, but I've got to get the transmission cross member bolted in before I'll know if this needs attention.   Found a machinist that was willing to modify the banjo fittings to the euro bubble type and just got them back yesterday. 

Edited by 02tom

Planning on throwing in the front struts in the process of checking clearances around the engine so that I can also put the front wheels on and torque to spec the rear half shaft and trailing arms with the weight of the car on everything.  So far, I've confirmed my fear that the AC compressor pulley is touching the nose panel inner framework.  This can be trimmed, though I'm not thrilled about it, but I was expecting there to be some problems because of the prior nose panel replacement and various slightly wrinkles body panels up front.  Going to bolt up the exhaust "Y" piece and be looking things over for a few days it looks like.  I'm not sure that the transmission sensors are going to clear in their current state.  Here's a shot of the "organized chaos" from the day I put the engine in thrown in the mix:

sDSC03884.jpgsDSC03880.jpgsDSC03878.jpgsDSC03874.jpg 

Edited by 02tom
fixed images not posting

It's already in constant contact with the engine and trans mounted. I was thinking more about having to use a die grinder and put a notch in it for clearance. If it would bend without distorting the front of the panel, I'd do it, but don't think that will work.

sDSC03888.jpgDidn't plan to spend all day in the garage, but after taking the header off and putting it back on about 5 times, I've finally got the clearance need for the idler arm.  Still checking for clearance under the hood - found the dipstick was too close to the factory air plenum.  Torqued the rear stub axles and trailing arms.  The fun continues...

Edited by 02tom

The loop on my dip stick was clipped off by someone :)

I didn't read enough about your brake line issues to make a coherent response, but I remember having custom flex lines made for mine. But I don't remember if that was front or rear, heheh...

...An old pic of how mine is badged :)

http://www.spaghettiblender.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=536

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Ray,

I like the minimalist approach on the badge. I'm still thinking about it. I've got a fog light that I'm probably going to install and the roundel and 2002 tii badge would balance it out I think.

The brakes issues were just my own being picky. I almost threw it together a couple of times the way Ireland suggested but I want more clearance between the line and the wheel. No big deal since I didn't have time to do anything except think for weeks at a time.

Okey dokey.

Heh I just remembered I changed out the roundel for one which is the same scale as the ///M badge. I don't have a pic handy though!

I do have a pic handy. I didn't have my memory handy!

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/raykoke/media/brakes/IMG_5326.jpg.html

Cheers,

Edited by ray_

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

• 3 weeks later...

sDSC04032.jpgsDSC04034.jpgsDSC04036.jpgSlow progress as was anticipated the last few weeks, but I did manage to find someone locally to zinc plate the rods and hardware for my hood latch rods / hood release bars...  Many aren't into the hobbyist customers.  I took them 2 rods and what hardware I had, but held one back for simplicity in reassembly.  Next time, I'm thinking that I'll see what kind of price they'll do for a bulk quantity of hardware.  I tediously reassembled one today, and I'm good with how they turned out.

Edited by 02tom

• 8 months later...

DSC04318s.jpgThanks, life gets in the way sometimes.  Also, the disorganized clutter that comes with restoration projects was killing me, so among other things, I bought a ton of shelving and completely reorganized the garage.   Waiting on a bearing from Ireland to finish the pedal box...

Edit: the bearing showed up in the mail today!

Edited by 02tom

• 7 months later...

I'm still working on the 02, just slowed way down with other projects taking priority when BMW supply is about to run out or go NLA forever. The pedal box is complete and I'll put it in the next time I remove the engine. Still bogged down with multiple components that take a lot of time to get right, like the heater box and gas tank.

I'm not sure what's going on with the pictures, haven't been on here much until recently and have noticed the lack of pictures on tapatalk but haven't been able to investigate beyond that.

Edited by 02tom