LeeMW

California gas pumps

34 posts / 8109 viewsLast Reply

Ok, I searched and searched this site and found a few secrets to putting gas in the car without taking a fuel bath. However, these were old posts and I am hoping someone else has a solution. I have a 72 2002 tii.

I'm not sure there is any secret. Mostly it seems you have to find the right gas station, with a nozzle that works, and pump really slowly. I'm still looking for a better fit than the typical Arco nozzle. Takes me 7 minutes for 10 gallons.

I've posted this before, I have a 7 1/2" piece of 3/4 heater hose, I slip it over the Ca nozzle , (do not cover the small hole under the nozzle) then I hold back the condom & pump away with the top end of the rubber hose just inside the neck. Be careful not to pull out the pump & let the hose drop in the tank.You can hear the fuel start to come up the neck, release the trigger, full tank & no back wash. Works great on my 71 , before it was impossible to get gas in the tank & it pissed me right off, easy now & cheap.

There is a diesel filler tube sold by BMW (and others) that you hold in place and place the filler nozzle in.

After I'm done filling the tank I put the gas cap back on. I then use the gas station's windshield squeegee thingie and swab down with lots of water the spillzone on the bodywork below the gas cap. This rinses off the gasoline, thus the paint isn't bothered.

Cheers,

Carl

My solution. E21 fill tube cut down and FUEL grade reinforced hose. The trunk lip edge serves as rest for the nozzle and no spilling on paint. I also used the factory vent system with a new BMW charcoal canister.

post-22275-13667668492197_thumb.jpg

Joe,

I'm back with a NK2000. I still have a couple fillers left and can get more. Anyone can send me an e-mail.

Chris

Joe,

I'm back with a NK2000. I still have a couple fillers left and can get more. Anyone can send me an e-mail.

Chris

THIS is the stuff, I bought one and it works excellent - worth the money spent! Thanks Chris.

Do a Site Search for a fuel filler adapter. Someone was making and selling them here about a year or so ago. From the comments that were posted, it works pretty well.

Someone mentioned installing a fuel filler neck from a 318ti at one point, anyone remember this or have more info? I looked at photos of them on eBay and I'm not sure that it'll work, I'd love to chat with someone who has done this before I spend $50 on one.

My solution. E21 fill tube cut down and FUEL grade reinforced hose. The trunk lip edge serves as rest for the nozzle and no spilling on paint. I also used the factory vent system with a new BMW charcoal canister.

Like your setup.....how did you "cap off" the factory tube? Kinda see it in your photo but want details.

Morgan

That filler is pretty long and you have to cap a small offshoot of the tube, too hard to store too.

Ah ok, I thought he had installed it in the car permanently as a replacement for the original filler neck. That's what I'm hoping to do somehow, these "insert" ideas seem pretty messy and annoying.

Another vote for the fuel filler from Chris (HBChris).

After I bought the filler from Chris, I searched for a container to store it in so the gas fumes wouldn't cause anyone to faint (just in case). I found this spagehtti contianer at TJ Maxx for 5 bucks. Seals nicely no problem.

post-19784-13667668610151_thumb.jpg

post-19784-13667668610974_thumb.jpg