• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake Booster and Weber DCOE 40 Clearence

willie002

Check out the IE sidedraft manifold. Lots of room for horns, even with a stock non-tii brake booster. Here's my setup with the motor freshly installed. I run it with socks on the horns for my protection and her pleasure.

Photo1%2520%25285%2529.jpg

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

...even with a stock non-tii brake booster.

Hi William - that sure looks like a tii booster to me. ???

Tom

Jeepers. You are correct. My writing above is craptacular.

I should have written, "Though I used a tii brake booster, there's more than enough clearance to allow for a non-tii brake booster."

It turned out that the tii brake booster in the photo was dead, so I replaced it with one from Marshall's Go Fast Parts Emporium and Wunderkind Workshop. But I checked the clearance with a non-tii brake booster while I had the chance, and it worked very well.

Note: Even with with a tii brake booster, the #3 and #4 socks get scrunched. If you don't like your socks scrunched, you could probably go with angled horns or banana horns, as described earlier in the thread.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey great thread guys! 

Thought I would chime in as Im currently facing the same fitment issue. I ordered 45's from a listing I found on ebay which had a "complete kit". Anyway went to do a quick test fit as I was running out of the retun time on the kit in case anything was wrong, and I discovered the whole ordeal with the #3 trumpet hitting the brake booster. Here was a pic of it from the other night. 

20130825_222747_zps444f3cb8.jpg?t=137754

Anyway called the company to ask about it as a shorter trumpet would probably fix the issue. I noticed in their ad the trumpets they showed (which it said you receive air horns "as seen in picture") definitely looked shorter and I figured, if it came down to it and they wouldn't help me out with the matter, maybe ebay could help as I did seem to get longer trumpets that what they showed, and the kit definitely doesn't fit as is.

Got off track there... Anyway!

Called them up, the main guy was out and the guy there was confused about why this wasn't fitting. I asked for the shorter trumpets but he said they only have those made for the 40's. So I was out of luck there.

As I was also needing filters, He did say that the Ramflo style filters they sold would clear the BB as he himself had seen 45's with Ramflos installed at their shop on a 2002... 

Ramflo Filter: http://www.racetep.com/weber/m086ramflosm.jpg

Anyway, purchased two of those. Kind of bummed because I really wanted to look under the hood and see some nice trumpets but I guess this will have to do. 

But the reason I'm posting is, after looking at the car again today in the daylight, I'm worried that the Ramflow may not even fit. After all that guy wasn't the main 2002 guy at their company, maybe he just saw one with a tii booster or other factors and didn't really know / I spent $90 for nothing....   Does anyone have the Ramflo filter dimensions?

I also just learned about the variance that can come from the manifold chosen. This one seems to be thicker than others, like the short ones on IE -- Thus these are bad for clearance. The kit is provided by the guys at racetep.com but oddly I cant find the exact kit they list on ebay on their real website so, there's no direct link I can give you as ebay auction links will change over time. But to see what I'm talking about if you go on ebay they are the only ones with a full 2002 weber side draft "kit" listed. -- Has anyone here seen that kit installed, with the clearance their manifold offers used with Ramflow filters to successfully clear the brake booster? 

Thanks! :)

Edited by crochetg

Hey great thread guys! 

Thought I would chime in as Im currently facing the same fitment issue. I ordered 45's from a listing I found on ebay which had a "complete kit". Anyway went to do a quick test fit as I was running out of the retun time on the kit in case anything was wrong, and I discovered the whole ordeal with the #3 trumpet hitting the brake booster. Here was a pic of it from the other night. 

20130825_222747_zps444f3cb8.jpg?t=137754

Anyway called the company to ask about it as a shorter trumpet would probably fix the issue. I noticed in their ad the trumpets they showed (which it said you receive air horns "as seen in picture") definitely looked shorter and I figured, if it came down to it and they wouldn't help me out with the matter, maybe ebay could help as I did seem to get longer trumpets that what they showed, and the kit definitely doesn't fit as is.

Got off track there... Anyway!

Called them up, the main guy was out and the guy there was confused about why this wasn't fitting. I asked for the shorter trumpets but he said they only have those made for the 40's. So I was out of luck there.

As I was also needing filters, He did say that the Ramflo style filters they sold would clear the BB as he himself had seen 45's with Ramflos installed at their shop on a 2002... 

Ramflo Filter: http://www.racetep.com/weber/m086ramflosm.jpg

Anyway, purchased two of those. Kind of bummed because I really wanted to look under the hood and see some nice trumpets but I guess this will have to do. 

But the reason I'm posting is, after looking at the car again today in the daylight, I'm worried that the Ramflow may not even fit. After all that guy wasn't the main 2002 guy at their company, maybe he just saw one with a tii booster or other factors and didn't know and I spent $90 for nothing.. I also just learned about the variance that can come from the manifold chosen. This one seems to be thicker than other aka bad for clearance. The kit is provided by the guys at racetep.com but oddly I cant find the exact kit they list on ebay shown on their site so theres no direct link I can give you. But to see what im talking about if you go on ebay they are the only ones with a full 2002 side draft "kit" listed. -- Has anyone here seen that kit, with the clearance their manifold offers used with Ramflow filters to successfully clear the brake booster? 

It looks like you're trying to slide the carb on with the velocity stack / trumpet pre-installed on the carb.  Don't do that.  Take the velocity stack off, slide the carb onto the studs, then slide the stack on.  It's the only way you can do it.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Please forgive me in advance. I'm probably going to picture spam this thread. 

Hey guys, thanks for the fast replies!

I went out to try and get more accurate clearance measurements. The camera makes it look like 1.5 inches but in reality it may be a tad less.

Hmmmm. I still hope they will fit..

wideshot_zps58d53cbf.jpg?t=1377558355

closeup_zpsaa58953e.jpg?t=1377558372

Edited by crochetg

It looks like you're trying to slide the carb on with the velocity stack / trumpet pre-installed on the carb.  Don't do that.  Take the velocity stack off, slide the carb onto the studs, then slide the stack on.  It's the only way you can do it.

Unfortunately no :/  still very far off no irrespective of install method

20130826_180926_zpscd23090c.jpg?t=137755

Edited by crochetg

This kit is very frustrating. I was wondering why no matter how hard I tried, I could not get a nut to go onto the bottom manifold bolts......

Took it off to find

They left like NO ROOM for any kind of bolt.. Why didnt they just  move the bottom hole down a little, they had plenty of room to come down with the hole on the top..... ugh, you would think if they knew enough to make the adapters fit together and have installed one on a 2002 in the past, things that dont make sense at all like this wouldnt be put into the final product.

Don't know what to do other than attempt to somehow find a Dremel sanding bit that has a huge diameter such that I can hold it perpendicular to the surface and still have the Dremel shaft clear the metal flange that projects upwards.....

Thoughts?

clearance_zps98dbec35.jpg?t=1377559743

Edited by crochetg

Unfortunately no :/  still very far off no irrespective of install method

20130826_180926_zpscd23090c.jpg?t=137755

I think what I do is loosely slide the carb onto the studs without putting the nuts on, then tip the carb upward enough to get the stacks started inward into the carb.  Then push the stacks in all the way and the carb downward at the same time.  Yeah, like I said, it's pretty annoying. 

Of course though, your mileage may vary.  You have 45s with a cannon manifold, and I have 40s with a warneford manifold.  I have no idea what length or brand my velocity stacks are, but they look to be of similar length.  Yours might be a bigger diameter than mine though, since they are made for 45s.

There are vendors online that you can buy shorter stacks from if you want them.  You can also skip the anti-vibe mounts if you got 'em, and just use paper gaskets.  I switched to paper gaskets and have had no problems.

Edited by KFunk

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser