jgerock

Sunvisor clips question

11 posts / 834 viewsLast Reply

No search performed yet...

Received some new plastic sun visor clips from BLUNT a couple months ago and finally decided to install one for the broken passenger side in the tii.

The old one has a metal bracket that fits inside the plastic piece. New part will not fit. I installed it without the metal piece.

Is the new one a one-piece upgrade for the old style?

Old

IMG_8596.jpg

Old versus new.

IMG_8600.jpg

IMG_8598.jpg

You can trim two pieces of metal on the top of the bracket. I would re-use the metal piece for extra support as the BMW intended 40 years ago (for a reason?), would even use epoxy glue inside the cheap plastic to bond the metal.

Thanks for the quick responses. I used the original screws to secure the new clip to the windshield header.

Funny how the passenger side crumbled before the driver's side.

suppliers or the the supplier changed the sunvisor clip design, eliminating that internal metal reinforcement. The original clips on my '69 had the metal insert; those on my 73 didn't (and I know they were original on both cars).

The replacement clips I bought as long as 20+ years ago didn't have the inserts, and actually the early clips with the metal inserts deteriorated much faster than the later replacement ones...

cheers

mike

The last time I put new sun visor clips in (probably about 6-7 yrs. ago) I followed a tip on this board and filled the cavity in both with GE Silicon Seal.

Don't know if it helped, or not, but both are still in good condition and I don't go a day without having to put the visors down and up several times. It is sunny here in So. AZ. Supposedly 350 sunny days a year. Notice the sky in the Valentine's Day photo below.

Bob Napier

post-71-1366766840677_thumb.jpg

I think the new design doesn't need the reinforcement, since it has better

flex, and probably better plastics.

I put some OE 320 clips (as in, made in 1980, and taken off a parts car)

on my car 10+ years ago and have not thought about them since.

t

I've read that VW beetles had metal versions of this exact same part (no plastic at all) and those of course work much better. I haven't looked for those yet but I bet they're available new and/or on ebay.

I've read that VW beetles had metal versions of this exact same part (no plastic at all) and those of course work much better. I haven't looked for those yet but I bet they're available new and/or on ebay.

I've only seen plastic ones on air-cooled VW's. The ones on my '71 Beetle were flat - you lifted the visor arm over and down to secure it.