hegedus

Disaster - What to do

30 posts / 2590 viewsLast Reply

I spent last year restoring a '72 tii to be a great daily driver.

Found a no rust car with a rebuilt engine in a stalled restoration. Finished it up with new paint and interior and other goodies such as LED taillights, upgraded starter and alternator, wifi enabled air/fuel sensor.

Fun car to drive. Then engine failure including a hole in the block and maybe some head damage.

What to do? Fix or sell off?

post-19788-13667668323617_thumb.jpg

post-19788-13667668325229_thumb.jpg

The only thing crazier than restoring a 2002, is NOT fixing said 2002 when the engine fails.

Fix that thing!

Hi,

a good long block takes only one weekend

to install and you are back on the road.

post on the wanted and wait to see who has

a used motor. there are more engines than

bodies left. you can request help from

your locals and get some fine

help and also alot of knowledge. just to

make sure it is done right you should limit

beer intake to two per hour per worker.

a cook out might even be cool. i would

jump in but the plane ticket is too much.

good luck

stone

Guest gliding_serpent
I spent last year restoring a '72 tii to be a great daily driver.

Found a no rust car with a rebuilt engine in a stalled restoration. Finished it up with new paint and interior and other goodies such as LED taillights, upgraded starter and alternator, wifi enabled air/fuel sensor.

Fun car to drive. Then engine failure including a hole in the block and maybe some head damage.

What to do? Fix or sell off?

I feel your pain. Is this a numbers matching car/engine? If it is, rebuild. If not, save it for parts and get a new engine. Remember that you know what goes into a rebuilt engine you oversaw... but not one that someone else did. Do your homework.

Fix it!

That way you can 'close the circle' since the engine seems to be the only thing done by the previous owner. See it as an opportunity...

Your car really looks great. I say fix it! I'd be glad to loan you my engine hoist and engine stand. I'm here in the bay area and would be glad to lend a hand when I can.

Your car really looks great. I say fix it! I'd be glad to loan you my engine hoist and engine stand. I'm here in the bay area and would be glad to lend a hand when I can.

Thank you very much for the offer. I will keep you in the loop on what I wind up doing.

It's very discouraging when it happens (something similar--but not as serious--happened to me that required 500 miles on a tow dolly behind a U-Haul truck) but just jump in and fix it. Lotsa parts available from friends on the FAQ and even more advice...many 02ers in the Bay area who are more than happy to help out a fellow 02er.

Keep us posted--you have a great looking car!

mike

Definitively repair it that car looks awesome. I wish mine looked like that, I'd trade you my whole running car for yours!

Record (for me) for motor swap was 6 hours. By myself.

Fixit!

And I'll agree- used long block to start,

then see what you think after that...

Should take a weekend or 2.

t

FIX IT! you have worked through the expensive stuff already good body= everything in my opinion. Now might be the time to build up a bit of a performance engine or do an EFI engine or S14, or m20 or m44 or whatever you fancy.

My options thus far:

remfd tii engine $5900 + installation

metricMechanic M10 Sport $5500 + installation

Double02 Salvage $900 + carb + intake manifold (est $1400) + installation

(no longer tii)

Any others?

can u do any of the work yourself? you have a great car the powerplant is the last step

EdIt their has 2 be someone up north that can help u rebuild/fix