Sign in to follow this  
FilthyLittle02

Hole in air filter area?

5 posts / 404 viewsLast Reply

Hey guys. I was looking around my car the other day and I pulled off the air filter. On the bottom piece of the air filter holder there is a hole. It appears to me that this hole will let in any dust or dirty air to the carbs as it is not blocked by the air filter. Is everyone elses air filter like this?

Thanks

Originally, there would've been a hose connected to it, which would 'recycle' blow-by from the engine and burn it (emissions control). Most of your emissions stuff is probably yanked out at this point. Just plug the hole somehow.

On the factory air cleaners, those holes have a purpose--the big one goes to the breather nipple on the valve cover and some have a smaller one that holds a vacuum line that was part of the emission equipment.

Regardless, it should either be used for its intended purpose or plugged.

mike

There was another hole for cars that had an air pump. It supplied filtered air to the air pump and gulp valve. If air pump system is not on anymore, plug it.

Thanks guys. Just looking into the engine the bay Id say a lot of things have been pulled from my car already. But Ill plug it!

Thanks