Sign in to follow this  
Ryan_71-02

WTB: Early shifter boot mounting ring

6 posts / 1068 viewsLast Reply

welded to the tunnel housing and surrounds the shift lever opening, but only on 2002s with short consoles and round shift boots (pre modell 71 cars with 166/167xxxx VINs). The lip retains the lower edge of the round rubber shift lever boot and isn't needed on later cars with square shift boots.

I checked the factory parts book and it doesn't seem to be listed with body parts--didn't check to see if it's with the transmission/shift linkage, but it's not a bolt-on part so I doubt if it's there.

cheers

mike

Exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks for the picture. If memory serves, it's just spot welded in place isn't it?

Ryan

Based on my picture ^, it appears there are (6) spot welds. Doubtful the ring is a replacement part since it was most likely deleted when the long console was introduced.

You might not even need the ring to secure the boot. A possible dirt cheap fix would be to cut the bottom section of a metal (coffee) can that is the same diameter and pop rivet it to the tunnel.