• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone buy brake shoes lately???

nbristow01

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried autozone and autohaus. They advertise them but when you go to order they are not available. I really don't care to run NLA consumable parts on my car. I drive over 30k miles a year in my 02. Also if I have a NLA part break on the road I am screwed. I can't avoid it all but do my best. Instead of doing 150 on shoes I would rather buy rest discs and avoid future nla and price spikes

shoes are not NLA and they are cheap....

there are other reasons to spend $$$ to convert to disk brakes, but lack of shoe availability or high prices aren't two of them.

I had intended to swapping to a rear disc setup this spring. I already have the front BBK kit. So instead of spending for the shoes or upgrade to 320 drums I will just use that money for the rear discs. I need a set for my sons car though. A fellow FAQer has gotten me a set for his. Thanks all for the offers and thanks for the advice.

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

then why not go to 320 rears? Cheap and still available...

heh

t

Don't those require longer e-brake cables or something like that? I'm thinking of doing the same when the shoes on ours wear out, I have a friend with an E21 that's getting discs so I could grab his OE parts.

Somehow I got by using the 02 cables with 320i drum setup and no mods to anything. Maybe my car is like Steve K's avatar!

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

ya i go tthe same price of about $150 from blunt i think they were an OE set thats why they were so expensive, I ended up getting a set for $20 through work (advance Auto parts) they aren't goin to be the best in the world but they were all i need rght now to get the car rolling and be able to use the e brake

Guest Anonymous

My 1976 has a recent 320i new rear conversion with all new parts. I bought three sets of spare 320i brake shoe sets from Auto Zone for $18 per set. Listing quoted reman but shoes arrived looking new. Normally I never buy from Auto Zone parts for a real German car.

AutohausAZ has them for $56.65 with free shipping.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=5dnrtsfhleilqf55miitps55&makeid=800003@BMW&modelid=1010811@2002&year=1975&cid=14@Brake %26 Wheel Hub&gid=1688@Brake Shoe Set

Bob Napier

I looked at Autohausaz but shoes are backordered for my 72 Tii but wheel Cylinders for $9 bucks apiece!

$28 - $41 bucks each at other places.

72 Tii

AutohausAZ has them for $56.65 with free shipping.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=5dnrtsfhleilqf55miitps55&makeid=800003@BMW&modelid=1010811@2002&year=1975&cid=14@Brake %26 Wheel Hub&gid=1688@Brake Shoe Set

Bob Napier

I looked at Autohausaz but shoes are backordered for my 72 Tii but wheel Cylinders for $9 bucks apiece!

$28 - $41 bucks each at other places.

Larry that is the keyword...backorder. They are on backorder with Autozone as well...then they said they will not be able to get them in. I tried several places and got the same story...back order. I tried BMW direct and they are showing one of the 4 shoes as NLA now. I also tried sources from here on FAQ with the same results. Ireland is still advertising them but since I have ordered the rear disc conversion there is no point fo rme to. May want to check with them for your Tii shoes

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

May want to check with them for your Tii shoes

Yeah Nick, I'm getting a list together for front and rear brakes. Seems that Blunt does not have Rotors, Shoes or SS lines and BavAuto does not have Shoes. IE does seem to have everything I need though.

I might get parts from different vendors. Blunt is cheapest on Rebuilt Calipers and if I get the wheel cylinders from AutoHauz, it will save me some money.

72 Tii

May want to check with them for your Tii shoes

Yeah Nick, I'm getting a list together for front and rear brakes. Seems that Blunt does not have Rotors, Shoes or SS lines and BavAuto does not have Shoes. IE does seem to have everything I need though.

I might get parts from different vendors. Blunt is cheapest on Rebuilt Calipers and if I get the wheel cylinders from AutoHauz, it will save me some money.

yep that is why I decided to swap everything to BBK up front and discs in the rear. That way parts will be cheap and easy to come by. If rotors and shoes are getting hard to find now I can imagine what it may be like in afew more years. Lots of these 02s on the road and more getting restored so a shortage in parts can be expected to increase. Well thats what I convinced myself of to make me feel better about ordering the brake upgrade

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle