gopher

Pedal Box Insulating Cover

11 posts / 1895 viewsLast Reply

I noticed today the insulating cover on my pedal box was hanging down underneath my 73. I just learned that they are glued to the box. I always thought screws and grommets were holding it up there. Any recommendations on what glue to use to get it back up in place: foam to metal? It's the original. Surprised it has survived this long.

no screws - it was form fit and stuck on - now rotten

remove remainder, treat rusty metal with primer and paint,

do not re-install new part - it just retains water, salt, dirt

causing the pedal box to rot out

fabricate a small piece of metal plate to cover

the oval hole opening to prevent water entering

the box.

I'm rebuilding my pedal box and Clutch Master at the moment so I'm intimate with all the parts.

My cover is/was a mess from years of abuse and deteriorated from dripping fluid. Also, it holds moisture, so the pedal box can rust away. $36 to replace.

It appears they used a type of contact adhesive. I plan to use lepage's contact cement on both surfaces, wait til tacky and then apply the cover.

Anyone else have a better adhesive idea? I'm open to opinions also

I'm rebuilding my pedal box and Clutch Master at the moment so I'm intimate with all the parts.

My cover is/was a mess from years of abuse and deteriorated from dripping fluid. Also, it holds moisture, so the pedal box can rust away. $36 to replace.

It appears they used a type of contact adhesive. I plan to use lepage's contact cement on both surfaces, wait til tacky and then apply the cover.

Anyone else have a better adhesive idea? I'm open to opinions also

WTF? Now my posting not only takes awhile but, it seems to only post a portion. Anyway, what I wrote after the quote was this.

I have yet to put the item back on. I have long wondered if the piece was nothing more than a moisture trap.

If it is, why use it?

I gotta do something, my box is good, pad is gone and 20 degree mornings are freezin my knees, u recco a piece of metal to patch the hole? Off topic, why do all the pics I see of BMWs at ground leval show the speedo cable hangin down below the car? Replacin my cable and hopin someone has addressed this issue?

My plan is to take two pieces of dynamat and place one on the outside and one on the inside. Creating a patch and adhering the two together.

I gotta do something, my box is good, pad is gone and 20 degree mornings are freezin my knees, u recco a piece of metal to patch the hole? Off topic, why do all the pics I see of BMWs at ground leval show the speedo cable hangin down below the car? Replacin my cable and hopin someone has addressed this issue?

There is a clip on the bottom of the pedal box which secures the speedometer cable. If your's is gone, then you could use an insulated cable clamp.

I used 3M Marine Adhesive/Sealant 5200 (it's rather pricey but works well). Imagine a silicone sealant would also work. Contact cement doesn't give you much room for positioning. BTW, I found that the new covers need some trimming on the inner side to fit against the frame rail.

nbcbird: Thanks for the heads up. Marine glue sounds like the right thing to use considering the environment the cover has to live in.

Trimming, huh. At least it's not too small.

I don't receive all my rebuild parts for a few weeks so I have time to clean and paint that area. The last grimey area on the car.