• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

e21 recaro re-upholstery kits

esty

FYI...anyone interested in DIY recovering your recaro seats i found a guy that has what looks like a good product at a good price

a few years ago i bought a set of e21 covers from Aardvark and was impressed with the workmanship and fit...at the time, Dave was the only one i could find that would make me a set of covers that i could install myself...

after buying the inexpensive tools i needed to install the upholstery i swore that i'd never do it again because it wasn't as easy as i expected...i just wasn't strong enough to do the majors stretching necessary for a great fit...

so much for my resolution...last week i bought & received today, a set of tan covers for a set of e21 seats delivered today from ebay seller, zoomzoomzoom-ing...he may be a member here as well but i don't know him or what user name he uses if he is...

anyway, out of the box the cover look great and an unexpected part of the new set were new center seat back and bottom foam sections already upholstered

i see no reason to expect they won't fit nicely and the price was considerably less than the other set i bought...the only negative is that he definitely makes a few bucks on shipping, charging $50.00 to ship a medium sized, 12 pound box....even fluffing his shipping costs, i have no complaints because even with an extra + or - $25.00 added to the shipping it was still a bargain

BTW, it appears that since i bought them last week, he's raised the price $50.00 so you may be able to negotiate a better price...you can find him here....

http://www.ebay.com/sch/zoomzoomzoom-ing/m.html?item=350687377353&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51a698b7c9&vxp=mtr&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

BTW...i'll be sure and show them when i get around to installing them

He's got a lovely attitude when it comes to customer service - here's a cut and paste of an enquiry for a shipping an LSD to France along with a set of seat covers. If I treated business enquiries like this I'd soon be out of business.

-----------------------------

Dear zoomzoomzoom-ing,

Hi, would you ship to France and if so how much? How much would it be i I combined it with a set of e21 recaro seat covers?

Cheers, Nick

- nickvyse

----------------------------

Dear nickvyse,

We will combine your orders and ship via FedEx International economy air,

7-10 day service, insured, tracking $397.90USD BMW E21 3.91LSD $499.99USD.

Add $379.99USD for our Recaro seat kit.

10-14 days for production due to

our production schedule. TOTAL $1277.90USD Custom fees are separate and due

at point of delivery. Thank you regards Steven

----------------------------

Dear

zoomzoomzoom-ing,

Yeah, I thought the weight of that diff would be a bit

of a killer for delivery, I think I'll pass, but really appreciate your

time and have book marked you for seat covers as I have a couple of sets

that will need doing soon.

Nick

-nickvyse

--------------------------

Dear nickvyse,

Why is it that 99/100 French who inquire about parts are

not serious buyers

and as a result waste my time for

nothing.

You utter prick

Nick

-nickvyse

I've had no further contact with the guy, and to be fair most people I know react badly to being called an utter prick, especially when they show signs of being one, but surprising he's got the time to reply to me twice.

Clearly not a fan of cheese-eating surrender monkeys - didn't want to tell him I'm not French in case he hates us limeys even more ;-)

Dear nickvyse,

Please do not waste my time with your nonsense

- zoomzoomzoom-ing

Dear nickvyse,

Exactly what I am saying. The French are dreamers not

serious

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

Anyway, can't hang around here all evening, I've got expensive quote requests to send off with nothing more than a couple of centimes and half a baguette to the budget!

Nick

• 1 year later...

Hi Esty,

Have you had a chance to install those covers yet? I'm really reluctant to purchase from him as I've read all the feedback on R3v and here and I'm a little disappointed as it was my primary resort to restoring my seats. I don't feel someone such as himself should be supported by a community when there's that much feedback out there that's not positive.

Regardless, do you know the quality of the workmanship and perhaps the durability of the fabric used? Don't feel like purchasing material that won't last. The last feedback on the R3v topic was stating the fabric would puncture easily and wear quickly.

Just trying to find some tangible evidence of such.

Regards!

"It is better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not."

Sheldon...i responded to your question in your email...

seat covers were installed, they were excellent quality and workmanship, or as good as i'd hoped they would be...although his personality is not what i'd call charming and i certainly would go on a date with him, i'll probably buy a matching rear seat set from the guy

This guy is local to me too. I bought one of his kit a year ago for the e21 recaros and had them installed about 2 months ago by a hole-in-the-wall Mexican Upholstery shop in Long Beach, Ca. It turned out pretty well and I'm about 80% I can get most of those creases out using a little heat. I got these seats back and they went straight into storage. So far I like them, but not enough to put them into my personal cars. 

Photo: 

efz2GwA.jpg?1

Bf6p5Ep.jpg?1

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

This guy is local to me too. I bought one of his kit a year ago for the e21 recaros and had them installed about 2 months ago by a hole-in-the-wall Mexican Upholstery shop in Long Beach, Ca. It turned out pretty well and I'm about 80% I can get most of those creases out using a little heat. I got these seats back and they went straight into storage. So far I like them, but not enough to put them into my personal cars. 

the problem's not with the stitching of the covers but with the patience and perseverance of the guy putting them on the seat frame...it takes a lot of time & patience to get recaro covers to fit like you expect them to fit...the 1st set i did, i wouldn't use them in my car either...i don't recall seeing many pictures of seats that had been recovered on FAQ that were what a perfectionist might consider great

that's sometimes the problem with feedback...forget about the not so charming, asshole personality of whoever the seller might be, that should not be the benchmark for judging the quality of the product he/she's offering...JMO

Not sure about the dating thing, but I would buy Recaro kits from Esty in a heartbeat...

(hint, hint)

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL