susnick

Need Opinions On Megasquirt Intake Manifold

7 posts / 1188 viewsLast Reply

Hello all i have a 72 02 i am rebuilding the motor in and wanting to go Megasquirt. Some pertinent info on motor 10:5 CP Pistons, 292 Ireland cam a flowed cylinderhead e21-2.0.

I have the MSll kit i will be building in the coming week i also have a 318i intake manifold which was modified see pic.

Need opinions on this intake.

Regards, Mark.

post-17326-13667668104044_thumb.jpg

Having done something similar (using LH 2.2 for injection), I would say the throttle body might make things challenging from a packaging perpective. It looks like it's from a Chevy LT1, but I might be mistaken. I'm sure it'd flow more than enough air and would technically work. However, to fit an air filter you'll need to make a 90 degree vertical angle and a 45 degree horizontal angle (ie pointing towards the driver's side headlight) to. From what I recall, those factory TB's pointed forward, so I doubt even the aftermarket air filter kits would readily work.

It'd be much easier to pick up a different 318i manifold, 325is TB (cheap at a JY) and then spend a few $$ to get the adapter from Tom at 02again.com. That's what I did and it made it a very simple process.

Your other option would be to grind off the TB you have and weld on a different TB, but one that has a more standard 2.5 or 3" opening. Then you can easily mix and match silicone/aluminum intake pipes to plumb your airfilter.

-Lloyd

Hello all i have a 72 02 i am rebuilding the motor in and wanting to go Megasquirt. Some pertinent info on motor 10:5 CP Pistons, 292 Ireland cam a flowed cylinderhead e21-2.0.

I have the MSll kit i will be building in the coming week i also have a 318i intake manifold which was modified see pic.

Need opinions on this intake.

Regards, Mark.

My engine is similar, 316 cam. I'm using the 318i intake with an M20 throttle body. what is the size of your throttle body?

My engine is similar, 316 cam. I'm using the 318i intake with an M20 throttle body. what is the size of your throttle body?

It has two synchronous throttle plates of looks like 44mm each.

Also are you happy with the 316 cam in your conversion?

Thanks, Mark

It has two synchronous throttle plates of looks like 44mm each.

Also are you happy with the 316 cam in your conversion?

Thanks, Mark

The TPI throttle body was used on 5.0 and 5.7L Chevy engines in Corvettes and Camaros. It might be large for your project. Why not the 318 t-body?

How many mm is the TB? If it's too big the throttle will act like a switch (on and off).

John