Sign in to follow this  
ymanchik

How can I make my car startup faster???

16 posts / 2277 viewsLast Reply

I have a 1971 2002 and I just started using it as my daily driver but it's kind of embarrassing when it takes a good ten seconds or more for the car to fireup. Sometimes it fires up right away, especially if I've been driving it for awhile but usually it doesn't. I have a new battery installed. Could it be the alternator? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Check the ground strap between the block and frame rail. My car was slow to start and would catch right as I would let off the key. Fixing the ground strap cured that.

Good to check the grounds. Also, check to see if your fuel lines are leaking or the carb. You could be reprimimg the system each time you start it up.

do you have the original starter in there? You may want to consider replacing with the M3 starter - run a search

Make sure you dont have fuel leaking back to the tank. If I let my 02 sit for a week it takes 10 seconds easy to start it, but if I let it sit for a day she starts after a pump or two of the gas. But like others have said, do a tune up (tune the carb, time it, file points, etc), then try it again.

Is there a way to check to see if I have fuel leaking back to the tank? Thanks.

Make sure you dont have fuel leaking back to the tank. If I let my 02 sit for a week it takes 10 seconds easy to start it, but if I let it sit for a day she starts after a pump or two of the gas. But like others have said, do a tune up (tune the carb, time it, file points, etc), then try it again.

Is there a way to check to see if I have fuel leaking back to the tank? Thanks.

And after you get it tuned up properly, you've got to know your car's starting technique. Each of my 02s dictated a different set of rules. For example, my '76 requires, with a cold motor, two full pumps to the floor and then don't touch the throttle until the engine begins to catch. But warm, you must give it about a third throttle and hold the pedal there: it will catch immediately. If you don't adhere to those "rules," you can crank it for a long time. My point: unlike modern computer-controlled cars, you need to learn the right choke and throttle approach.

Steve

How can I check to see if I have fuel leaking back to the tank? thanks.

Best way I can think of is put a clear fuel filter inline by the carb, it should stay fullish, if it's totally empty it's probably drained back towards the tank. The other thing you could do that would work is pull the hose off the carb and put it into a clear jar and have a buddy crank, you should get some fuel but then a bunch of air, then fuel again if the line drained back to the tank.

If it's a '71, does it have a manual choke? Do you know how to use it properly? ; ) Look for a choke lever opposite the ignition key in the steering column.

Have you checked for fuel leaks, especially at the start of the rubber hose in the engine bay by the firewall? The pump will suck air and it'll be hard to get fuel to the carb if that hose starts to leak.

Is you ignition system in good shape? Are the points recent? Condenser? Have you tried swapping in a spare ignition coil to see if there's any difference? A failing coil will cause hard starting. Are the spark plugs in good shape? New cap and rotor? Keep in mind most fuel problems are ignition : )

Good luck.

As suggested, put an in-line plastic filter under the hood. Could also be tired fuel pump taking a long time to prime. But that assumes proper tune-up and adequate battery power.

I have a Weber carb so the choke is disconnected. I don't think I have any leaks, I feel like I would smell it or see evidence on the ground. I feel like it's got to be something electrical. Thanks for all the tips, I'll see what I can figure out.

I'm not quite that knowledgable with the 2002's, I've only had it for 2 years but want to learn more. If anyone is willing to take me under their wing and show me a thing or two I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

If it's a '71, does it have a manual choke? Do you know how to use it properly? ; ) Look for a choke lever opposite the ignition key in the steering column.

Have you checked for fuel leaks, especially at the start of the rubber hose in the engine bay by the firewall? The pump will suck air and it'll be hard to get fuel to the carb if that hose starts to leak.

Is you ignition system in good shape? Are the points recent? Condenser? Have you tried swapping in a spare ignition coil to see if there's any difference? A failing coil will cause hard starting. Are the spark plugs in good shape? New cap and rotor? Keep in mind most fuel problems are ignition : )

Good luck.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.