Guest gliding_serpent

I have a bad disease... Looking for a cure!

24 posts / 1036 viewsLast Reply

Guest gliding_serpent

... I call it "whileyouareinthereitis". Multi-drug resistant superbug that is hard to get rid of. Spreads like wildfire and causes rapid depletion of finances and spare time.

"What a great old car. Such a pure driving experience. I will never sell this car. Still holds it's own. Hmmm... Running kind of hot, should slow down. Is that ping I hear under acceleration? Oh crap that popping sound and smoke is bad."

"No honey, it won't be that expensive. I just need new pistons and a few other things. Best to do the work while we are in there. It should only cost 2k in labour, maybe the same in parts. Yes I am sure, the Internet told me and they are never wrong."

"So the exhaust valve guides are a little worn? The head is slightly warped? I think it is best to just do the entire thing... The parts aren't that bad really. I don't want to do this again in 5 years."

"We'll the engine is apart, so if I am going to do the top end it would be silly to not do the bottom end."

"Trust me honey, 350$ for this oiled pump is a bargain!!!"

"I think a rebuilt distributor is important. We only run 91 octane in this area. Should freshen up the seat belts too."

"My car did overheat, I think a new rad is a good idea. Don't want to do this again. And a water pump too... Can't be too sure"

"The best time to replace the clutch is when the engine is out. Good financial sense really."

" you see, what makes this car rare and valuable is the mechanical fuel injection. Now is the time to put it back in. Webers devalue it. 1-1.2k for a rebuild is pretty cheap at the end of the day. We were quoted 8k 15 years ago."

"While the engine is being rebuilt I have time to kill. The front suspension is out anyway, so now is the best time to freshen it up. If I freshen the front I should just do the back too."

"I think the Internet was a little off on the cost of this project. I know, they can be wrong sometimes. 6k tops."

"A rebuilt engine would be a sin in a dirty engine bay. I want to clean it up. It needs some touch up paint."

"There were a lot of spots. Might be best to just repaint it. Might be a good time to repaint the car... To ensure matching paint. The car is apart anyway, so now is the best time really. Saves money in the long run."

" Best to take it down to the metal, do it right you know, would be expensive to have to paint twice."

"We'll you want the windows out for this kind of thing. You can't re-use this rubber anyway. Besides, it is drying out and cracking. You don't want to go this far to have it all leak and rust out on you."

"I mean look at the carpets. You can't have that when the rest of the car looks so good..."

... I call it "whileyouareinthereitis". Multi-drug resistant superbug that is hard to get rid of. Spreads like wildfire and causes rapid depletion of finances and spare time.

"What a great old car. Such a pure driving experience. I will never sell this car. Still holds it's own. Hmmm... Running kind of hot, should slow down. Is that ping I hear under acceleration? Oh crap that popping sound and smoke is bad."

"No honey, it won't be that expensive. I just need new pistons and a few other things. Best to do the work while we are in there. It should only cost 2k in labour, maybe the same in parts. Yes I am sure, the Internet told me and they are never wrong."

"So the exhaust valve guides are a little worn? The head is slightly warped? I think it is best to just do the entire thing... The parts aren't that bad really. I don't want to do this again in 5 years."

"We'll the engine is apart, so if I am going to do the top end it would be silly to not do the bottom end."

"I think a rebuilt distributor is important. We only run 91 octane in this area. Should freshen up the seat belts too."

"My car did overheat, I think a new rad is a good idea. Don't want to do this again. And a water pump too... Can't be too sure"

"The best time to replace the clutch is when the engine is out. Good financial sense really."

" you see, what makes this car rare and valuable is the mechanical fuel injection. Now is the time to put it back in. Webers devalue it. 1-1.2k for a rebuild is pretty cheap at the end of the day. We were quoted 8k 15 years ago."

"While the engine is being rebuilt I have time to kill. The front suspension is out anyway, so now is the best time to freshen it up. If I freshen the front I should just do the back too."

"I think the Internet was a little off on the cost of this project. I know, they can be wrong sometimes. 6k tops."

"A rebuilt engine would be a sin in a dirty engine bay. I want to clean it up. It needs some touch up paint."

"There were a lot of spots. Might be best to just repaint it. Might be a good time to repaint the car... To ensure matching paint. The car is apart anyway, so now is the best time really. Saves money in the long run."

" Best to take it down to the metal, do it right you know, would be expensive to have to paint twice."

"We'll you want the windows out for this kind of thing. You can't re-use this rubber anyway. Besides, it is drying out and cracking. You don't want to go this far to have it all leak and rust out on you."

"I mean look at the carpets. You can't have that when the rest of the car looks so good..."

The affliction is popularly known as "Shipwright's Disease":

Shipwright's disease

Sailor owns boat.

Boat has burned out light in galley.

Sailor decides to change bulb.

Sailor notices socket is corroded, decides to change socket.

Sailor notices wiring frayed while trying to change socket.

Sailor decides to change wiring.

Sailor notices galley ceiling slats are rotted while changing the wire.

Sailor decides galley ceiling slats need changing.

Sailor notices ...

this goes on and on and on and on and pretty soon, Sailor is undertaking a major renovation of his boat because of a burned out lightbulb.

There is no known cure, btw.

Good luck with all that, and ... welcome to the club! ;)

Guest gliding_serpent

Shipwright's disease

Sailor owns boat.

Sailor notices ...

this goes on and on and on and on and pretty soon, Sailor is undertaking a major renovation of his boat because of a burned out lightbulb.

3 cures:

1. Sustained Poverty

2. Vintage porsche

3. Another sports car

4. Death

Only two of the above are true

Guest gliding_serpent

Shipwright's disease

Sailor owns boat.

Sailor notices ...

3 cures:

1. Sustained Poverty

2. Vintage porsche

3. Another sports car

4. Sailboat

5. Death

Only two of the above are true

you gotta lot of catching up to do to enter the intensive care ward for that disease..:-)

-says the guy with a 23 page build thread, and it will never be done...

Oh Bro, you've got it bad.........................hehehe

Oh Bro, you've got it bad.........................hehehe

Note: see the song "Disease" by Matchbox 40

If you're looking HERE for a cure, I don't think you're looking real hard!

;-)

Someone here through the years had the postscript "I have a car disease. There is no cure. I'm not even dealing with the symptoms very well!" Who was that. I always got that!

Dude, you should really pick up a runner 02 to beat around in while your doing the restore....

Mark