Devian

Hmm. M2 anyone?

10 posts / 875 viewsLast Reply

I think it's high time one of us trademarked "M2" and sent a "cease and desist" order to them post haste!

As many of you know, BMW spends a lot of money harassing independent shop owners about the use of their letters, colors, symbols, and font. Seeing the tables turned might have some entertainment value. ;-)

Figuring out their new naming conventions reminds me of trying to figure out algebra...not fun and not easy

Someone on here said about two years ago that BMW had copyrighted or patented M2.

I like this one as it shares the 5 front end look. I'm sure it will bet out of my price range.

John

Isn't this an article from 2011 describing the car that eventually became the m135i?

can i pre-order just the badging to put on my car? :-)

Ditto!

Paul,

A year or two ago someone posted the press release that BMW had applied to the German Trademark Office to trademark "M2".

I don't know about anyone else, but I fired off a communication to the office advising them that it is impossible for them to fulfill BMW's request because the "M2" was already in the common usage of 2002 owners from Albania to Zimbabwe---ie. worldwide (specifically siting Nick Vyse's web site among other references on the Web).

I also doubted if their office had the worldwide authority to trademark anything that was already "in the common usage".

At this time, if BMW sent me a "cease and desist" letter, I think I'd tell 'em to "Bite Me".

mac.

Paul,

A year or two ago someone posted the press release that BMW had applied to the German Trademark Office to trademark "M2".

I don't know about anyone else, but I fired off a communication to the office advising them that it is impossible for them to fulfill BMW's request because the "M2" was already in the common usage of 2002 owners from Albania to Zimbabwe---ie. worldwide (specifically siting Nick Vyse's web site among other references on the Web).

I also doubted if their office had the worldwide authority to trademark anything that was already "in the common usage".

At this time, if BMW sent me a "cease and desist" letter, I think I'd tell 'em to "Bite Me".

mac.

no one's been in touch with me - and I'd be happy to sell the URL!