fuzzynormal

OEM or not?

14 posts / 767 viewsLast Reply

Too much fumes coming through the trunk into the cab.

I want to replace the hoses/lines to seal this up and get it back to "clean." Buy OEM? ...or is there a perfectly fine alternative?

Seems like there should be. Any suggestions?

The only hose I can think of that goes between pax compartment (cabin) and trunk is the fuel line (on carbureted cars) and that's a special plastic that's designed to seal up if heated (as in a fire). DO NOT replace that with proprietary rubber fuel hose.

A non-sunroof car has cabin air exhausts above the back window that exit via the tubes on each side of the trunk, but they're outboard of the trunk seal so they shouldn't be allowing fumes into the cabin. On sunroof cars that exhaust is plugged up.

Am I missing something?

mike

The fuel vapor catch is supposed to be a closed system, but looks like he runs a line to the bottom of the vehicle and let's it exhaust into the environment.

I'd like to keep things stock, if possible. If I can't get the fumes to clear up, then I'll rig a work-around like he did, but in the meantime I think I'd rather just replace some of those lines and get rid of the fumes.

The gas tank seems solid. No leaks from what I can tell.

The fumes only happen to me when I open a window in the cab. The change in air pressure pulls the fumes into the cab.

Otherwise, if the windows and sunroof are closed the stink ain't noticeable.

Replace the flexible lines in the trunk between the gas tank and the hard lines. They are probably 6mm internal diameter (sometimes 8mm)

They crack with age and often seep gas out into the trunk when the car is off. It's an easy diy and you should do it before you replace anything else.

Guest Anonymous

fuzzy, Just looked at link above and speced his pics closely, if you look at his gas tank it has the return line plugged, the hose he connected to runs up to the engine bay, it was a excess fuel return line on our late model cars, i use this line to vent fumes from tank to charcoal cannister under hood to air cleaner, safe and sane and have no fume issues anymore, simply route line from top of tank to charcoal cannister under hood, the stink comes from all the excess plumbing in trunk. Also look at your shelf behind the top of backseat, all kinds of holes that allow fumes into cabin, bought plastic hole covers from Ace and has helped out big time, hope this helps

Dave Miller

DBMW2002

76 Golfie, Screamin Yellow Zonker

97 328is For when u absolutley positively gotta get there fast

The fuel vapor catch is supposed to be a closed system, but looks like he runs a line to the bottom of the vehicle and let's it exhaust into the environment.

I'd like to keep things stock, if possible. If I can't get the fumes to clear up, then I'll rig a work-around like he did, but in the meantime I think I'd rather just replace some of those lines and get rid of the fumes.

The gas tank seems solid. No leaks from what I can tell.

The fumes only happen to me when I open a window in the cab. The change in air pressure pulls the fumes into the cab.

Otherwise, if the windows and sunroof are closed the stink ain't noticeable.

yeah- i was thinking of trying a modification of some sort on this- run a line from the charcoal canister, to the air filter on the carburetor. that's basically how my car was set up when i got it- but 40 year old charcoal won't be doing anything, and i couldn't devise an easy way to replace the charcoal in the stock canister i have. i was tempted to cut the bottom out, then jb weld it back, but my ambitions have been directed elsewhere and this guys little bottle seems easier.

it has the return line plugged, the hose he connected to runs up to the engine bay, it was a excess fuel return line on our late model cars, i use this line to vent fumes from tank to charcoal cannister under hood to air cleaner, safe and sane and have no fume issues anymore, simply route line from top of tank to charcoal cannister under hood

I'll give it a peek and see if I can reason it out...

The charcoal canisters remain available from BMW. They are not cheap, $120-ish, but they keep your evaporative system working correctly.

Steve

Check for actual leaks from the fuel tank itself. I had this happen on my E3 and it caused lots of fumes in the cabin via the trunk, it seemed like the vapor system but was a real leak (actually several). I posted some more on that in the "host to nowhere" thread, that might give you some ideas on where to check but do check that first since it's easy enough to do.

This might have already been said but did you check the O-ring on fuel level sender?