• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remembering Michel Potheau

02fanatic

It's hard to believe our '02 friend and founding Member of the BMWCCA Michel Potheau has been gone 10 years.

I've said it before, but Michel was a walking encyclopedia for "things '02-related". Many of us on here had contact with him over the years, and for me - well, he was always there to help me in any way he could. His advice was especially helpful during my restoration of Hugo. I would send him an e-mail, and he "always" got back to me!

Michel was a founding member of the BMWCCA (Member #2), and he served as President and in other capacities for many years.

I never forget my friends, and although Michel passed away 10 years ago today on 1/6/2003, this day still reminds me of him and how much I miss his knowledge of '02's, his help whenever I asked.

He always used to say, "It's not just about the cars, but the friends we make along the way"!

Rest in Peace my friend...you will always be very much missed!

John Weese

BMW CCA #76646

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

I first met Michel at one of the first Gateway Techs in St Louis, about 1987 or 88, after having bought parts from his Circle Tire Co for many years (Still have a couple of T shirts!). That was one of my first Iophobia seminars that I did (Iophobia=fear of rust--a real word!)

Anyone on the FAQ remember Gateway Tech? This was back when many CCA members worked on their own cars, and was a great source of information and hands-on how-tos...

We spent a lot of time time talking about 2002 minutia--subsequently he's the guy I'd contact if I was stuck on something. Still miss him after all these years.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Sure do remember Gateway Tech and Michel was a helluva guy; must have been about 12 years ago I was interested in a '74 2002tii around the Naples, Florida area; Michel offered to look at it for me; he mentioned he had seen it in his area now and then. I ended up buying a '74 Chamonix 2002, one owner Texas car, owned by a U.S Air Force officer.

Tim

Thanks, John and Mike, for the wonderful reminders of Michel. There's a wonderful story I'll tell you guys sometime about a new member (me) visiting Boston for the first time and ending up on an all-night fishing trip with Michel and Michael Izor.

Michel was a character, and had his strong and weak points, but he was right about the club being about the people more than the cars!

vince