Desiderio

Drivers seat

7 posts / 791 viewsLast Reply

1972 2002 base seat steal matchbook like part of the base on my drivers seat is busted off causing me to be a left leaner...when you know i like to lean right.

That said i have a 1971 PASSENGERS seat here extra, that I'm looking at.

As a first timer ,...can i switch the steel frames ? or is there a super difference in the steel base,.

Now i get that the seats have levers, and thats why im asking the question , scan i totally striped base, will this work? Thanks DEZ

Guest Anonymous

It won't work.

There might be some interference on the tunnel side due to the seat frame, but if you switch the seat tracks around, you might be able to use that spare pass. seat on the driver's side. The width of the seat bottoms is different too. You'll also have to reach around to the inside to flip the lever.

Disclaimer time: I have not tried this with stock seats but have with an E21 Recaro.[/i]

Stock seats (at least early ones) have very asymmetric seat bottoms. I don't think a passenger bottom would fit on the driver's side. The interference is actually most likely to happen on the door side--the bottoms are offset toward the tunnel, which is why the stock seats seem to be more centered on the steering wheel than aftermarket replacements.

-Dave

change. I know from having tried to.

If the little ear that the seat back rests on has broken off, it can be welded back on without too much difficulty. You'll need to

1. remove seat from car (4 x 6mm bolts)

2. separate back from cushion by removing the two chrome pivots/screws that the seat back hinges on (they have flats to fit a wrench)

3. remove the tracks, upholstery and padding from the seat bottom, noting how it goes back to you can replace it correctly...this would be a good time to replace any deteriorated padding...

4. take now naked seat cushion frame (you can leave the springs in place) to a welder and have the ear re-attached

5. paint repaired ear with black spray paint

6. reassemble.

It's a bit of a PITA, but otherwise you're gonna mess up the seat back. Had to do this with my '73 when it was less than 10 years old--it wasn't an uncommon occurrance back then.

cheers

mike

You may also want to reinforce the ear with a piece of flat steel bar. My rewelded ear became weak.