• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New BMWCCA Roundel layout

jhenard

Alright Rob and Mike what is up?

I just got the new edition and 2/3 of the "vintge" friendly columns are gone. Mike and Jenny are no where to be found and at least Rob made the cut. These 3 are the first I read before even looking at the "new" stuff.

Is this permanent? (hangs head low feeling old and ready to to start talking to himself like granddad)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got the new issue yesterday. It is a major overhaul. Sam Smith is leaving for Road & Track, Joseph Chamberlain's column is gone, as is Jenny Morgan's & Mike Self's.... I've seen major shake-ups when a newspaper updates its look & feel. (my wife, Mary, is a writer for the Dayton Daily News) It can definitely be upsetting for some, though not for all -- it's done to gain readership. (ideally, that is)

Your comments?

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

I heard about it yesterday from NY and got my subscription today. Yeah, it appears the club along with BMW Na, is focusing even more on the newer cars. Even Mike column is on a new Z8.

Several years ago, Frank Patek, entertained a pretty long conversation with me about keeping the vintage cars and owners at least in the corner of they eye of the club and Roundel. It looks like that conversation's effectiveness ran out.

We had been doing pretty good recently with articles and support of Vintage events. Hope the BMWCCA's support of the vintage events in NC and NY continue.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Alright Rob and Mike what is up?

I just got the new edition and 2/3 of the "vintge" friendly columns are gone. Mike and Jenny are no where to be found and at least Rob made the cut. These 3 are the first I read before even looking at the "new" stuff.

Is this permanent? (hangs head low feeling old and ready to to start talking to himself like granddad)

x2 looks like I wont hold out to be the ne west member, with the oldest car to join the BMWCCA .The magazine has been my motivating factor for wanting a 2002.

I learned in November that, as part of a magazine redesign, I would be going to every other month, alternating with Mark Calebrese. Satch holds these cards fairly close to his chest. There was no staff-wide e-mail saying what the redesign would be and who would be affected. Folks traded messages on FB asking each other if they'd survived the cut.

In fairness to Satch, although Roundel is not a newsstand publication, we're subject to the same big trends as the rest of print, which means that ad revenue is way down, which means that page count needs to shrink. My understanding is that that was the driving factor behind the redesign and, with it, the cutting of certain columns.

Also in fairness to Satch (can you tell that I try very hard to see all points of view?), the BMW CCA and the Roundel need to mold to the demographics of the club. Satch winces whenever I write multi-part columns on something as specific as retrofitting a/c into a 2002, and reminds me what a tiny slice of the club is actually interested in this sort of thing.

Of course, "demographics of the club" means different things to different people. I've said for years that I think the magazine has way too much racing coverage, but Satch is a motorsports guy, and he's the editor.

One positive change is that, with the page count not as crammed, the typeface appears to have opened up a bit. My 53 year-old eyes were having difficulty reading the tiny font that many of the articles were being set in.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Oops! Looks like I'll forget to renew my membership. I've been a member (on and off) since 1986, I think.

I figure I can harass Rob on his blog, when I need my Hack Mechanic fix.

Me? Will write for parts. http://paulwegweiser.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2011-01-01T00:00:00-05:00&updated-max=2012-01-01T00:00:00-05:00&max-results=5

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

I too was sad to see some of the main articles I read gone. At least The Hack Mechanic which I go to first is still there...but then read Rob you are going to every other month which makes me sad again. I am one who likes reading about retrofitting a/c into a 2002 or all the "gems" you find on CL...makes me feel "normal" a little bit lol.

I do like the new font and black text on white background of the articles but Mike, Sam and Jenny...you will be missed!

'76 02 (Pastellblau - my 1st car - owned since 1992)
'04 330i zhp (Monaco Blue)

'07 328i 6spd (Titanium Silver)

'11 X3 (Alpine White)