• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JB Racing lightweight aluminum flywheel- New

amorrison

I bought this new from JB Racing in Florida, but am no longer going to be able to use it. The part number from JB Racing is 520-105-228, and it is made to fit a 228mm diameter clutch (stock size). The OEM flywheel weight is 16.5 pounds; the JB Racing aluminum flywheel weight is 8.0 pounds. Knocking 8.5 pounds of rotating mass off the bottom end is a big improvement. Great for street or track use.

From the JB Racing website (http://jbracing.com/flywheel-bmw1.php#1600models):

Lightweight Aluminum flywheel replaces stock single-mass flywheel using OEM clutch/pressure plate/throw-out bearing components as well as aftermarket direct replacements. Provides improved throttle response and increased performance.

Fitment:

1968 - 73 2002 w/ M10 2.0L - 4 cyl.

1972 - 74 2002tii w/ M10 2.0L - 4 cyl.

These fitments are copied directly from the JB Racing website, but you are responsible for ensuring it's the correct part for your engine. Please call JB Racing if you have any questions.

Will sell for $450. Can ship UPS anywhere, and a tracking number is always provided. Please send me a message and we can figure out the details.

Thanks, Andrew

post-17163-13667667913655_thumb.jpg

"If you can do a half-assed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind."

- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Among the best $450+/- I ever spent on my last 2002 (Emily). If I had the funds, there'd be one in the F Bomb NOW.

Whoever buys this will need a spatula to remove the grin from their face, after that first 7200 rpm shift!

Best of luck on the sale! Aluminum flywheels = deliciously fun.

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Among the best $450+/- I ever spent on my last 2002 (Emily). If I had the funds, there'd be one in the F Bomb NOW.

Whoever buys this will need a spatula to remove the grin from their face, after that first 7200 rpm shift!

Best of luck on the sale! Aluminum flywheels = deliciously fun.

I was really thinking hard about buying this for my 69 - since I have to replace the original chewed up one (228mm!).

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

what paul said. if you have to get a flywheel anyway..

not that i have ever been accused of being an enabler...yet today.

light flywheels are not all peaches and cream though. do have to be careful starting off so as not to stall car, and they do cause a smidge more vibration in the drive train which is probably not noticeable with stock engine and tranny mounts.

2xM3

Interesting - and confusing.

JB Website shows the P/N 520-105-228 is for use with 6-bolt flywheels (1600) but mentions it can be used for 2002 applications.

P/N 520-100-228 is for standard 8-bolt 228mm flywheel 2002 applications.

Picture clearly shows 8 holes.

What's up with that?

600/1602 Models

Fitment:

1964 - 75 1600/1602 w/ M10 1.6L - 4 cyl.

Lightweight Aluminum flywheel for early 6-bolt crankshaft, replaces stock single-mass flywheel. Uses late 2002 model 228mm clutch/pressure plate components. Provides improved throttle response and increased performance.

Note: As the early 1600/1602 clutch components are no longer available, this flywheel has been designed to retro-fit using the late 2002 model 228mm clutch/pressure plate components.

520-105-228 Clutch Diameter: 228mm OEM Flywheel Wt. 16.5 lbs.

List Price $629.00 Alum. Flywheel Wt. 8.0 lbs.

Order JBR p/n 520-105-228 Price: $518.00

2002 Models

Fitment:

1968 - 73 2002 w/ M10 2.0L - 4 cyl.

1972 - 74 2002tii w/ M10 2.0L - 4 cyl.

Lightweight Aluminum flywheel replaces stock single-mass flywheel using OEM clutch/pressure plate/throw-out bearing components as well as aftermarket direct replacements. Provides improved throttle response and increased performance.

520-100-228 Clutch Diameter: 228mm OEM Flywheel Wt. 16.5 lbs.

List Price $595.00 Alum. Flywheel Wt. 8.0 lbs.

Order JBR p/n 520-100-228 Price: $490.00

Jim Gerock

light flywheels are not all peaches and cream though. do have to be careful starting off so as not to stall car, and they do cause a smidge more vibration in the drive train which is probably not noticeable with stock engine and tranny mounts.

I never noticed any tendency to stall when starting off, but I had DCOEs (and anyone that doesn't gratuitously blip the twins frequently, when starting off, probably doesn't have any soul).

I shift slowly in my cars, even when at high rpm, so I give the throttle a slight blip when upshifting, too... I do this with standard flywheels, too.

Just buy the thing, Jim. We've hijacked this poor seller's thread enough for one day! :D

• Like 1

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Six bolt, 228mm flywheels were used on US spec 2002s up to VIN 1665200; these cars also used the coil spring pressure plate vs the later diaphragm plates. Early Euro 2002s also used this same setup, but I don't know the changeover VIN offhand.

After 1665200, all US spec 2002s used an 8 bolt flywheel/crankshaft--228mm until the end of roundie production, 215mm for squarelights except tii's and Turbos.

So make sure you get the correct flywheel.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

More thread-jack (but on topic with the current jack).

The lightweight, factory-style 215mm pressure plate I use (and sell) weighs 7.2lbs, has plenty of clamp-load and retains the factory pedal feel. (note: though 215mm is more than enough for my race car, I may look at 228mm for those making upwards of 250Hp)

If the OP's flywheel is right for you car/flywheel, I believe most will like the improvement. -KB

Six bolt, 228mm flywheels were used on US spec 2002s up to VIN 1665200; these cars also used the coil spring pressure plate vs the later diaphragm plates. Early Euro 2002s also used this same setup, but I don't know the changeover VIN offhand.

After 1665200, all US spec 2002s used an 8 bolt flywheel/crankshaft--228mm until the end of roundie production, 215mm for squarelights except tii's and Turbos.

So make sure you get the correct flywheel.

cheers

mike

The flywheel for sale has (8) bolts, but the website has some unusual comments about being able to use it with 2002 clutch components on a 1600.

My 69 engine is toast - I'm using a 72tii engine (228mm flywheel) and the 76 Transmission that came in the car.

Jim Gerock

Ah hell, I might as well add a little fuel to this fire as well...

I had an '87 16v Scirocco that needed a new gearbox at the time, so I threw in a lighter flywheel while I was at it. That was by far the best $250 I spent on that car. Granted, I believe I only lost about 3lb over stock so the tradeoff's weren't as great as they may be in this case, but it helped make an already rev-happy engine even more fun. Very much recommended upgrade. I'll do it again on the '02 when I get around to do the 5spd conversion...

Jason

'73 2002tii Fjord

'02 M3 Convertible Jet Back/ Imola