• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old foglight project

MicahDolen

When I bought my car it had 1 amber fog light on it. I took it off and threw it in a box.

Today I decided to turn it into a rear fog lamp.

I painted the amber lens red with a product called Night Shades from the local auto parts store. I also got a bulb socket and small bulb. The original bulb was a H3 so it would to too bright to shine in "most" people's eyes.

I did some cutting on the socket and got it installed in the housing.

The light looks great and is about as bright as my brake lights. I think I will wire it to come on as a 3rd brake light.

EB6C4071-A999-448C-8E88-AA552E9DE0C9-10503-000008ED6D834F51.jpg

D7119E1C-BCE6-4C96-9691-AAF54BFF66FA-10503-000008ED3F42B465.jpg

B0E3673D-52AD-4112-9D16-27E7E76BB438-10503-000008ED5569E823.jpg

2BD090D4-F50E-4D99-8CC6-51C95924DA6A-10503-000008ED2C9A4503.jpg

Nicely done!

A wacky and vintage Euro rear fog light acting as a 3rd brake light is on my "to do" list on the F Bomb. This shows some serious ingenuity. You have a very good brain! :D

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

that's a cool light. Seems like using it as a 3rd brake light would be more useful than a fog light - or maybe you could use it as both? Post a pic of the final mounting pls, and wiring mods!

1970 Agave work in progress

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

other cars: 1991 318is / 1999 540iT

Interesting project, but I wonder if you have enough light from a 194 bulb (rated 2.0 mean spherical candlepower, MSCP, or 25 lumens) compared to a typical stop or turn bulb used in a red rear foglamp, such as a 1073 (32MSCP or 402 lumens).

One option would be to use a 10 Watt halogen bulb with a miniature bayonet base (note, the socket must withstand the halogen temperature!); see attached. It is rated 200 lumens and generates much less heat than the H3 bulb your lamp was designed for.

Another possibility is to use a red LED bulb (I have used some from [http]). The red LED's are fairly monochromatic, so the lens color does not matter. And without a red filter absorbing 50-90% of the light output, an LED bulb does not need so many lumens to create a light output similar to a 32MSCP bulb. While for a typical LED retrofit I am very concerned about enough candlepower in all important directions (not just straight back), a red rear foglamp is a non-mandatory option so about any candlepower distribution would be a benefit.

Good luck!

OSRAM 64113 10 Watt halogen mini-bayonet.pdf

Larry Ayers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

’73 Malaga— first car, now gone

'74tii Malaga