gopher

Brake Line Advice

25 posts / 6763 viewsLast Reply

I am replacing the rear wheel cylinders on my 73 2002 and thought I would replace the original rear hard brake lines that run to my new stainless brake hoses. They are approximately 23 inches long, but I can only find 20in. and 30 in. lines with bubble flares at the local parts stores. The dealer wants $42 for this line. I was tempted to buy two 12 in. lines with a union but was advised to go with a single line. A bubble flaring tool runs around $22 at Amazon but some of the reviews talk about flaring problems. I am tempted to buy a 30 in, line to cut and try to flare it. Will the local auto repair shop bubble flare a line I bring them for a reasonable price? Need some expert forum advice.

I replaced all my brake lines using BMW OEM lines. Your dealer's price sounds awfully high. There is a listing of brake lines by length which I found more helpful than reference to the actual replacement part. The OEM lines are very easy to bend but I found it rather difficult to flare one of the ends. The lines have a plastic coating on them that made it hard for the flaring tool to grab--it kept slipping until the coating wore thru. Good luck.

Did you try some of the 2002 parts houses or Steve (Blunt)? I bought the metal brake lines as a kit from bimmer parts company when they were still operating, did all the hard lines on my '76 2002 back then.

Tim

I know we're spoiled here with very limited corrosion,

but are they really in bad shape? On a dual- system

car, I'm of the 'don't fix it unless it's got a problem' school.

Also, I've had poor luck with inexpensive bubble flaring tools.

that's what I got,

t

Thanks for the prompt replies here. I went to bleed my left rear wheel cylinder and the bleeder broke off in the cylinder. I then went to remove the brake line to replace the cylinder and the next thing I know I am twisting the brake line. So it's time for new cylinders and new hard lines. I will contact Blunt to see if he carries hard lines 24 inches long. Any other online sites that you would recommend? I would love to find bubble flared lines online at the correct length.

I did the same exact thing on my car. I didn't use a line wrench on the bleeder and broke it. I then used and open end wrench on the hard line that connects to the wheel cylinder and broke it right off. I stopped in my tracks and soaked the other side in wd40 and everything came off fine. You may be able to get away without the line wrench but the wd40 will be your best friend for this job.

BMW lines are measured in mm. Attached is a pdf file with the lines I posted once before. The rear had 320i drums (length should be the same for 2002 drums) and the front had tii struts with the 320i vented caliper conversion (big brakes).

2002 Brakeline chart.pdf

If you want brake lines that are easy to flaire (flair?) and bend, use Cunifer.

Google it.

Thanks for all the replies here on brake line lengths and availability. I have ordered two hard rear lines from Blunt.

On another note I just received my January Roundel. In Tech Talk Mike Miller is answering a 71 2002 owner's question about some basic repairs. The owner has the Haynes manual and Mike advises him to obtain the Big Blue Factory Manual. I keep reading thinking Mike is going to mention BMW 2002 FAQ as a site for "all things 2002". Not a word. This site is better than the factory manual. It's ALL here with friendly advice from a dedicated crowd of loyal owners.

Classictube in Rochester N Y makes complete hard line sets 9ps (prebent) in either steel or stainless

Thanks Steve. 

One more question, are cunifer lines a good choice? I am trying to get Tucker back on the road for my 40th reunion in a couple weeks. 

On January 2, 2013 at 3:42 PM, wegweiser said:

This is what you want. Just give the part number you need, based on length to your BMW parts person.

I only use BMW brake pipes. Easy to bend. Should last another 40 years.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2531&mospid=47128&btnr=34_0973&hg=34&fg=15&hl=81

HTH!

Who would you recommend buying these lines from?