sonhouse

Instrument Indicator Question

11 posts / 1300 viewsLast Reply

When I put the key in and turn it to "FAHRT" my Low Battery Charge indicator (the red "L") and the Low Oil Pressure (the yellow "O") lights come one. They don't stay on but I was just wondering.

The reason I ask is:

The car was taking some time to start in the mornings. Long story short, I'm going through the process of upgrading my starter to a new Bosch starter (sr441x). The old one took too long to turn the engine over and I would sit there and watch it drain the battery. I recharged the battery (which has 635 crank amps and 500 CC amps) so I don't think that was the problem.

But, if the Low Battery Light was on, maybe I don't need to change the starter... I am going to anyway, but I may just need to start looking somewhere else.

As a sidenote, after taking out the old starter, converting the original ignition wire's spade tip to a O-tip, and installing the new one, it just sounded like the starter gear was spinning but wasn't engaging the flywheel. Bench tested it and took it to autozone to confirm. Turns out I got a bad starter. Already ordered a new one but a 1-2 hr job is taking 4 days.

post-22910-13667667848358_thumb.jpg

If your L and O lights are off at idle and above. you're fine. They'll be on while cranking.

Pretty car!

do you have a manual for the car? that is not a "low battery light". it is a charge light. it is supposed to be on until the car starts...unless there is an alternator problem.

Yeah, it is a manual. If it's supposed to be on great. This is my first 02 and I just didn't know.

Ah, I have a Haynes manual but that's it. I thought I said the light was a Low Battery Charge Indicator, but maybe I didn't (see above where I did).

I know the battery is fully charged, but I just wanted to make sure the light comes on when starting the car.

it is not a low battery charge indicator, but a low charge indicator. The two don' t mean the same. the first is an indicator of battery condition while the second is an indicator of your charging system.

it is not a low battery charge indicator, but a low charge indicator. The two don' t mean the same. the first is an indicator of battery condition while the second is an indicator of your charging system.

I assumed it was a low battery charge indicator because below is the info I'm working off of. The top two lights, the "O" and the "L" come on when turning the key to "FAHRT."

I'm having a small issue with the ignition system that I'm working through and am just trying to figure it out. It's not a big deal, but the ultimate goal is to be able to get in the car, turn the key, and go.

I have a 4-5 yr old battery, a brand new Bosch alternator, and am putting in a SR441X Bosch starter.

post-21045-13667667867917_thumb.jpg

The full story on this little car is pretty amazing. I've always loved these cars and have wanted one for about ten years (I'm 26). I knew that when I got one I wanted to get the one I wanted. No body damage, Correct year (1972), Right color (Inka Orange), and as original as possible.

I've always been into classic motorcycles but this is my first "classic" car. I had to sell my favorite bike to get this car but I do not regret it all. Best thing about this car is that it only has 39,880 miles.

I got it from a preacher who bought it new. He drove it to the grocery on Saturday and church on Sunday. Other than that it just sat in his garage.

Even though that's what the manual calls it, it does not measure battery charge. It measures the battery charging capability of the charging system. "On" indicates insufficient output to keep battery charged (charging current less than the battery draw current).