Sign in to follow this  
ndog

radiator drain plug on realoem?

9 posts / 763 viewsLast Reply

I ran the pn#07119919228 (plug) and pn# 0749966320(washer) by a local dealership,they had both, however, the plug was for the block.The realoem site shows it should be the small 8mm x 1.0 radiator drain plug, is the drawing wrong? I need the small radiator plug.thanks all

The www.bmwfans.info site for my '75 automatic shows the same P/N you list but says the size is AM14X1,5.

That same plug is used in all these locations.

Engine housing 06 Screw plug 07 11 9 919 228

Radiator 10 Screw plug 07 11 9 919 228

Cooling system — water hoses 04 Screw plug 07 11 9 919 228

Cooling system — water hoses 13 '66, March — '77, July Screw plug 07 11 9 919 228

Engine housing -- Screw plug 07 11 9 919 228

Engine housing 03 Screw plug 07 11 9 919 228

I'm not sure what radiator you have with the smaller plug you listed.

Bob Napier

thank you here is a photo ...IMAG0507_zps2271bbf7.jpg

newer car radiator ??i dont know I Did search the site.thanks again

so what is that sm plug pn# I gave them(dealer) the small plug part number. and they handed me the block plug

The smaller one is correct.
i checked it w threadgauge it looks like 8mm x 1.0 x 24 any help with a vendor pn would help.tyagain may be my eyes cant see the thread gauge proper?

either from a hardware store or a fastener supply place. That's all the drain is--a bolt. Not tapered thread, seals with a crush washer. Note that a 1mm thread on an 8mm bolt is considered fine thread; normal 8mm bolts have a 1.25mm thread. And they don't interchange.

Or, find an appropriately sized drain cock, file the SAE threads off and rethread with an 8x1mm die. I did that some years ago, and it works a lot better for draining than the bolt, as you can direct the coolant flow much easier with a drain cock.

Third option--as above, but instead of re-threading, solder the drain cock in place.

cheers

mike

thanks mike....turns out some compression fittings work as well.The threads match spot on, and a crush washer can be installed/implemented as well .thanks all

IMAG0509_zps9fea8088.jpg