Koblenz

Loosing brake fluid

12 posts / 737 viewsLast Reply

I did the search. A lot of info.

My question,

if i remove the brake master (two nuts) are there spring loaded internals that I need to watch out for?

I want to check the booster for fluid build up.

There is no fluid running down or in the pedal box.

Once I did have fluid on the garage floor but not now. At the time it appeared to come from the drivers side, rear wheel.. Now everything is dry but I am loosing more fluid. No green smoke from exhaust

Thanks. I no longer want to be the King of WTF did I just do?

When I first got the car there was fluid on the master cyclinder. I think I do need to replace the "seals" that house the plastic elbows.

There were a couple of times whem I disengaged the e brake and put it in reverse I heard a pop. Just recently the brakes were locked when the car sat for a week.

Once I did have fluid on the garage floor but not now. At the time it appeared to come from the drivers side, rear wheel.. Now everything is dry but I am loosing more fluid. No green smoke from exhaust

Did you replace the wheel cylinders to resolve that issue? Brake fluid by the rear wheel is a sign of wheel cylinders gone south.

Crawl under there and carefully peel back the rubber dust boot. If there's evidence of fluid under the dust boot, you're close to experiencing slave cylinder failure.

And I would pull the rear brake drums and perform the same check on the rear wheel cylinders, just to make sure they'e not leaking.

If you're losing fluid, a master cylinder leak will have to be dumping fluid into the brake booster rather than just allowing fluid to pass by the seals. If the latter, you'll have a low or mushy pedal.

There are only 7 places (other than a bad hose or steel brake line) for fluid to leak out: clutch M/C & slave; two calipers, two wheel cylinders and the brake M/C. Keep looking 'till you find it.

And BTW, if your flex hoses (4 in front, 2 in the rear plus the clutch hose) are original, one of them might be leaking. Check 'em too.

cheers

mike

" if your flex hoses (4 in front, 2 in the rear plus the clutch hose) are original, one of them might be leaking. Check 'em too "

if your flex hoses are original, they are 20 years beyond the date when they should have been replaced.

Thanks guys. As I sit here with a.m. coffee my shopping list grows. I suspect a replacement list is in order.

My brake pedal is mushy now.

I did check the clutch slave and it was dry.

Do Not Drive car untill the brakes are repaired.

Do Not Order any parts UNTILL you have inspected all the areas noted above and you know where all the fluid has leaked from

ORDER a brake fluid pressure bleeder to carry out the repairs and

maintain the car properly

And it begins. Chilli with coffee for breakfast and the house to myself. That is probably a good thing.

Making a list for Blunt

I just replaced the rubber grommets and elbows on m y son's 76 also replaced the 2 fabric covered hoses from the reservoir to the brake MC. No more leaks. Have you discovered whenr he leak is coming from? Or where the hydro fluid is going?

I just replaced the rubber grommets and elbows on m y son's 76 also replaced the 2 fabric covered hoses from the reservoir to the brake MC. No more leaks. Have you discovered whenr he leak is coming from? Or where the hydro fluid is going?

That is encouraging. I have not found out where the fluid is going. I have started a list for Blunt. It includes the items you installed in addition to the rear brake set-up. Those are ready to be replaced.

Peaking inside the Booster should be easy. Just undo the 2 bolts that holt it on, slide it forward a bit and peak with a flashlight. When you fill the reservoir up how long does it take to leak down?